3 replies to this topic

#1 ganymede

ganymede

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3.5

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Hi All,

I am new to Pagelines and am testing it out basically at the moment to see if it is for me as a web developer.

I have a site that I want to move across to Pagelines and it has basically two left hand sided page designs

1) home page - which has two sidebars - the first has the logo and the main navigation and the second sidebar has contact details and some images that are key links to site detail pages

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

2) detail pages - which have a common first sidebar then the second is only a small red strip 56px wide with curved top and bottom (full height of content)

My issues in the best way to set this up.
1) I cant set the site options for the width of the sidebars for the two left sidebar designs (home and details) as pagelines only allows one setting for two left sidebars.

2) I cant set the detail page design to have a second sidebar with a 30px width in the site settings.

3) I also have an issue in that the detail pages in general have a full width photo (of the main content area) and as I want to have a 15px left and right margin on the content for detail pages so do I have to create the photo at the top of the content as a single slider or such to be able to keep the left and right margins at 0 for the image? OR is it just as easy to have to put a negative margin on the top image and increase the size of the image to > 100%?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,
Mike

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

Hi Mike

1) Pagelines will only allow one setting for the layout/width of sidebars, if you know Css you can overcome this and set the widths on a per page basis using css to override the system settings. If you don't know css you can look into hiring a pro, www.pagelines.com/pros/

2) Same as a above you could set and color this using css.

3) I'd say its easier to insert the full image in as a silder (or into a contentbox/fullwidth sidebar using html) and then use css to adjust the margins/padding to the image container.

#3 ganymede

ganymede

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3.5

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

Hi James,

Thanks for the info.

I have been able to make the majority of the change snow based on your comments and exploring pagelines further.

I find the page template confusing for sidebars as it is global and the content is template based but I am getting over that.

I changed the second template into a one left sidebar template so I only had one of each type and this worked for pagelines. I was trying to avoid making css changes as to me the more you have to fiddle with the generator the less value it shows u as being especially when it comes to responsive design..

I do have a couple of issues specific to pagelines.

1) I want to make the second sidebar the same length as the main content. I did this on the old site I am migrating from but didn't want to repeat what had to be done over two years ago if there is a better way now.

See this site below for the new version I am building and how the red does not go all the way to the bottom of the main content area on the right: 

the old site shows how I want it to look: aeas.com.au

2) I am trying to put the 'welcome' list text from the original site's header into the header of the new site and I cant see how to do it. It is not a widgetised area and when I tried to used a content box this did not display. I have taken out the code now. Is there a different section I can use and then remove the branding (which is blank besides a header image I want to keep).   Also can you have a content box in the header and in the main page and how are they distinguished if you can?

Thanks,

Mike

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:17 AM

1) In order to re-create the styling of the layout on the initial site you will have to use custom css to color and extend the background.

2) You could set the welcome list up as a custom menu via the appearance>menu's tab. You can use the classic nav to display this menu by placing the menu in the drag and drop.

You can see how to set up a custom menu here -

and how to assign it to the classic nav here -

You can duplicate the contentbox and place it in a variety of sections including the header :-)