Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Resolved Random Space Outside Page Area

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

I have been trying to fix this for several hours without any luck - there is a random white line at the very bottom of my homepage which I can't get rid of. It falls outside the page area (I can't select it using web developer tools) and is there no matter how many sections I place in my footer, and regardless of their order. When I change the website layout mode to fixed-width mode (currently set to full-width) the same space appears above the header. When I change the layout back to full width mode, the space above the header disappears but the one below the footer remains.

Any suggestions?

post-44434-0-97871300-1353822742_thumb.j

10 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

The topic was marked as resolved.

Posted · Report post

Hi Rob,

Thanks so much for taking the time to look into this - I validated my custom CSS code as suggested and no errors were returned. I also tried deleting the entire CSS custom code and reloading the webpage and the random space was still there. Any further suggestions appreciated.

Posted · Report post

Do you have a live link to your site?

Posted · Report post

Sadly I don't as it is on a local server for now

Posted · Report post

Have you tried either

#footer { padding-bottom: 0;}

or if in fixed width mode

.fixed_width #footer {padding-bottom:0;}

Posted · Report post

Yes I have tried #footer { padding-bottom: 0;} but to no avail. Also tried #footer { margin-bottom: 0;} but that didn't work either. I am currently the watermark but if I turn the watermark feature on, the space is still visible underneath it. I am quite puzzled as to why this is happening.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

That space is your body, you're most likely using custom CSS to style your footer background, all you need to use is the Color Control > Body Background color. Remove your custom footer CSS and add your body background color and there should be no space.

Posted · Report post

As I said in your post:

Usually when this happens there's some code error of some kind, such as an extra empty paragraph tag or a missing ; in CSS. It can also be an empty div. Had you removed anything from the footer area like a sidebar?

Unfortunately, I cannot find anything looking at it and so I'm going to escalate this, but while I do, please copy your custom code and paste it into the Direct Input tab here and validate: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

This will tell you if there's anything wrong with your custom code.

Posted · Report post

Beautiful, that did the trick :) Although I would like to have this space as the same colour as my footer (say, blue) while the body as a whole remains white. I think I'll just create an white image file with a blue band at the bottom and insert it as a background image within the body properties. Problem solved! Thanks so much to all who contributed answers.