Photo
- - - - -

All Kinds Of Error Messages

errors

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 randybrown

randybrown

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

I was settling in to watch, once again, the YouTube training videos to try once again to make sense of them in translating the menu structure as it was when the videos were made to the way they're laid out now. So I had YouTube open in one browser window, while I had another browser open to get into the Dashboard on my PageLines site (or one of them, anyway). This site is the one I'm monkeying with to try to learn to grasp page lines, and the lessons I learn here will be applied to my "real" website, the one for my business. So I can make all the mistakes here on this "training ground" website.

Anyway, when I logged in there were couple of plug-ins asking to be updated, so I updated them. And it broke my website. I couldn't click anything in the menu heirarchy without getting an error message. I couldn't even get to the Plug-Ins plage to deactivate to delete the plug-ins that had just been updated, apparently breaking the site.

So I just logged on using my FTP client and deleted the folder containing one of the two plug-ins, and voila! I was at least able to log back into the admin area of the site. But there were still several errors awaiting me above the dashbord. Here's how they read:

-----

Warning: fopen(/home/content/M/y/U/MyUsername/html/wp-content/plugins/backupwordpress/plugin.php) [

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/M/y/U/MyUsername/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3306

Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/content/M/y/U/MyUsername/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3309

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/content/M/y/U/MyUsername/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3312

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/M/y/U/MyUsername/html/wp-includes/functions.php:3306) in /home/content/M/y/U/MyUsername/html/wp-includes/option.php on line 563

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/M/y/U/MyUsername/html/wp-includes/functions.php:3306) in /home/content/M/y/U/MyUsername/html/wp-includes/option.php on line 564

-------

Any ideas what any of this stuff means or how I'm supposed to resolve these issues?

#2 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

In wordpress you cant simply delete an active plugin, wordpress will complain about not being able to find the file, those are the errors you are seeing above.

Visit the plugins page and wordpress will inform you that the missing plugin has been deactivated.

If you are having trouble installing/updating/deleting plugins with the gui then you host might have wrong file permissions or it might be too restrictive permissions and you will have to install things using FTP

#3 randybrown

randybrown

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

Well, that's all well and good, except that before I deleted the plug-ins using my FTP client (I know this is not the preferred method of deleting a plug-in), I couldn't get to any page in the Dashboard. Immediately after I updated a couple of plug-ins, I was getting error messages on EVERY page of the dashboard, whether it was a plug-in page or any other page. There was not a single page within the Dashboard I could go. They all brought up an error message after I had run the plug-in updater on two plug-ins (the WordPress Backup plug-in and WordPress Jet Pack). I was pretty sure that if one of them was the culprit, it likely was the WordPress Backup plug. So that's the one I deleted (I left the JetPack in place). But I had no other choice but to delete the plug-in through FTP because I couldn't get to the plug-in page within the Dashboard. That page, like all others, would not come up. I just got a white page with an error message embedded into the HTML. The only way available to me to restore the site just so that I could navigate ANYWHERE was to go in through FTP and remove the one plug-in I believed was the culprit -- the WordPress backup plug-in. The only other option would have been to go in through my host service's Control Panel and just uninstall WordPress and its database entirely (which I still may have to do). I've never seen a complete meltdown like this on a WordPress installation. Fortunately, this site is not actually working yet. I've just been using it as a testing ground to familiarize myself with PageLines. But this surely doesn't leave a pleasant taste in my mouth or give me a great first impression.

#4 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

So you tried to update 2 Wordpress plugins and they failed. Both plugins were nothing to do with pagelines.
What errors were being shown in the dashboard before you deleted the folders?

#5 randybrown

randybrown

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

I didn't write down the error message. Right after I updated the two plug-ins (Jetpack and Backup for WordPress), the screen was at the page where it tells you the updates are complete and gives you the option to return to the plug-ins page. I clicked one of the buttons and it brought me to a white page with the error message. So I hit "back" on my browser to get back, which returned me to the previous page. Then I clicked some other link...perhaps it was to go to the Dashboard homepage (I don't really remember)...and got the same white page with the same error message. I tried numerous different pages and nothing was working. Same white page, same error message each time. I couldn't go to the plug-ins page to Deactivate either of the two plug-ins because nothing worked. Every link I tried (including the one to go to the Plug-ins page) came to the same white page with the same error message.

I should have written it down or done a screen capture. But this appeared to be such a catastrophic problem -- and I knew immediately that the problem was one of the two plug-ins that I'd just updated (I figured it was probably the Backup for WordPress plug-in, not the JetPack for Wordpress plug-in, since the Jetpack plugin is provided by WordPress), so I figured the best bet was to log in thru FTP and just remove the Backup plug-in. When I did, I was then able to navigate to all the usual dashboard pages within WordPress. But each one had a series of Warning messages at the top. This, no doubt, was because I'd deleted the plug-in through FTP, not the usual "DeActivate" method, which had been unavailable to me because I couldn't get to that page.

I'm not saying PageLines was at fault here or that it caused any of this to happen. I'm just describing what happened as best I can.

I'm now in the final steps of doing a complete uninstall/reinstall of WordPress, PageLines and the plug-ins I intend to use (I may look for a different plug-in for backing up the site, or perhaps seek another way altogether of backing it up -- I've got another thread on this site about that...no replies so far as of this writing). If the same thing happens again with the re-installation, I'll take a screenshot next time so you can see exactly what the error message says. Hopefully it won't come to that.

What makes this so frustrating is that I just bought PageLines a few days ago and have already become somewhat frustrated by the documentation and tutorial videos being out of date and not matching up to the current user interface. So my confusion level was already pretty high, and has only been compounded by this latest episode as it all began unfolding just as I was sitting down to work on it over the weekend. I've done a few blogs before using WordPress, most with third-party themes, but never with PageLines, and I've never encountered any problems like this.

I'm sure it'll all be fine once I start figuring things out a little bit. It's just that the learning curve is steeper than I'd anticipated, and your online tutorials are, quite frankly, not all that helpful since they're out of date and don't match the current user interface.

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

Hi there, we fully appreciate your comments regarding the doc's on the website, we've been working hard to update the doc/wiki on the support side of things and we can happily say as of today this has gone live :) Check out

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

There can be a majority of things which cause the 'white screen of death' as it's commonly known. A majority of them are wordpress/server related, we'd usually advise checking with your host to ensure your php memory limit is set 128mb or above in addition to the permissions/advice Simon gave you above.

Fingers crossed you have no further issues, please let us know if you require further assistance.