10 replies to this topic

#1 illinimatt81

illinimatt81

• Members

• 199 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Framework Version:DMS 2

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

I have encountered two '500 Internal Server Errors" today while working on my site '

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

'

Each time the issue occurred when I was updating pages. The issue did not occur due to adding or updating or deleting any plugins. I was working on updating multiple pages within the site without issue and then suddenly a '500 Server Error' would happen without warning while updating a page.

Host Gator (my webhost) resolved the issue both times and then logged into my CPanel to investigate the error. They pinpointed the issue to the Pagelines Theme. Here is what they shared with me:

Premature end of script headers: index.php

stat("/home/mejohns1/public_html/runneracademymembership.com/wp-content/themes/pagelines-template-theme/style.less", 0x7fff13fb1970) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

What can be done to resolve this?

#2 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

That is not the error causing it, thats just the OS reporting back that it cant find that file... here is the code that loads a style.less from the child theme, IF it exists:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

is_file() uses stat() to check if the file exists, and that would not produce an error of any kind. If your getting a 500 error apache should produce a log, ask to see it. Also turn on WP_DEBUG in wp-config.php to view any php errors as they happen.

We code everything with full debugging turned on so can pretty safely say it isnt the framework generating errors.

#3 illinimatt81

illinimatt81

• Members

• 199 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Is this a case of a missing file then? Is there somewhere I can get the file and FTP it? No idea why this would happen. I am using a child theme. I'm going back to Host Gator and will reply with their finding.

#4 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

No its not a case of a missing file.

As i said, the framework looks for that file, and if it exists it uses it, if not it just carries on, it isnt needed.

Turn on WP_DEBUG and see what is actually causing the errors.

#5 illinimatt81

illinimatt81

• Members

• 199 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

They replied and said there were no other errors.

[Tue Nov 20 15:29:10 2012] [error] [client 74.202.255.243] Premature end of script headers: index.php
[Tue Nov 20 15:29:11 2012] [error] [client 74.202.255.243] Premature end of script headers: index.php

Since it is tied to the Child Theme I reverted to the base Pagelines installation and we'll see if that resolves it. Not ideal, but I feel I am in an infinite loop. The only other thing I can think of is I deleted Buddy Press from my install not too long ago, including the Pagelines supported integration for it. But I would think that would cause an immediate issue rather than things working for a bit and then throwing an error later.

#6 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

The only way you will ever find out what it is is turn on wordpress debug.

Premature end of script headers means nothing, its just PHP reporting an error, and as you have all errors suppressed ( wp does this unless you turn ON debug ) thats all you will ever see.

#7 illinimatt81

illinimatt81

• Members

• 199 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

Thanks for the info Simon. I will turn this on and see if anything comes up. It's maddening as you might imagine.

#8 illinimatt81

illinimatt81

• Members

• 199 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

No errors today. If I don't replicate it again in the next day or two I will mark this as closed to close the loop and reopen if it recurs. Very strange....

#9 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Were you able to turn on WP_DEBUG in wp-config.php?

#10 illinimatt81

illinimatt81

• Members

• 199 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

I resolved the error.

For some unknown reason, I can no longer save custom CSS in the custom CSS/LESS input area. What was happening is that the custom code was only saving the first 16 lines or so resulting in parse errors. I deleted all code in the custom code input area and instead inserted it into the Pagelines Customize Plugin. Problems are solved.

Again, no idea why this started happening, but I have not received any further 500 errors since taking the steps above.

#11 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

The topic was marked as resolved.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Resolved