Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Website Crashing

Question

Posted · Report post

Could you tell me the server capicity requirements to run Pagelines. My VPS crashed for the 2nd time this week after sending a Tweet out to my Twitter followers. My VPS has the following:

• » 75 GB Disk Storage
  • » 2 TB Bandwidth Transfer
  • » 880 MB RAM

I'm running the following plugins:

All in One SEO Pack
    Contact Form 7
    Facebook Comments by Fat Panda
    Google Analyticator
    Googlefonts
    Google XML Sitemaps
    Pagelines Sections
    Regenerate Thumbnails
    Shareaholic | email, bookmark, share buttons

4 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

you could offload images/js/css to a CDN, that would cut your HTTP requests by about 2 thirds. Also enable css filemode in the framework:

define( 'LESS_FILE_MODE', true );

Unfortunately you opted to use cpanel with a low memory VPS, so your kinda restricted to start with.

Posted · Report post

The server crashed according to my hosting company because of a spike in page requests after I sent a Tweet out and the resulting requests on the server.

Danny - Thanks for your feedback.

Simon - Offload images/js/css to a CDN? Where would I go to enable the css filemode? Also, what would you recommend as a safe memory limit to prevent this from happening again?

Posted · Report post

add that like to wp-config.php

Memory limit isn't the problem, your VPS has low memory to start with and when you get a lot of traffic the OS will start to use SWAP, and when that runs out it will lockup and reboot.

Server optimisation is an art and there is a LOT of resources and tutorials out there, including the cpanel forums.

All depends on how you have configured PHP/Apache. Also tuning mySQL for a low memory system may help.

Consider using wordpress super cache

Posted · Report post

Hi,

PageLines doesn't require a VPS to run smoothly, if your VPS is crashing, this is most likely caused by a setup problem/error. I recommend you disable all plugins and see if the crashing persists. If it does, then you will need to contact your host and ask them for assistance.