Photo
- - - - -

Delaying Updating To 2.3.5. Because I'm Not Sure What Will Change

update 2.3.5 child themes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 ughtv

ughtv

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

Hi, I'm not a coder and by using Pagelines I've managed to put a pretty cool little site together on my own with some custom CSS help from a friend:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I currently am running version 2.1.6 and I'm being prompted to update to 2.3.5.

I don't know what a 'childs theme' is. Here's what I know.. .I am using the Transparency custom theme within Wordpress.org. "Transparency" calls itself a 'child theme'. I am using custom CSS code to set up my main page (containing an embedded video box for live broadcasting, 2 chat boxes, etc..) along with some other customization. I also prominently use the Kenburner slideshow app.

What happens when I update to 2.3.5.? I can save the CSS code via copy & paste, but I'm unsure what I may (if anything) lose in this process. My website features a continuous line-up of live streaming DJs from around the world and we have bookings running into January... I cannot afford to have my site go down, so I've been putting this off.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
UGHTV

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

Hi,

Moving from 2.1.6 to 2.3.5 will result in some changes:
  • You can expect sidebar widgets to become disoriented. The solution is quite simple. Just move the widgets up and down to their proper order. Since you know it's going to happen, make a note of where each widget belongs so you can easily move them back in place. Note: If you move them out of the sidebar into the available widgets section, you will lose settings. Moving them up or down between sidebars doesn't lose any settings.
  • You may also expect some CSS changes which could affect the look of your site in minor ways. Given that, you may want to do a site inspection before hand and validate your custom CSS first. Copy your custom code and validate it through the "Direct input" tab here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Other than that, you should have little or no problems.

#3 ughtv

ughtv

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

Thanks so much, I will check your recommendations out.

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:27 AM

Let us know how it goes.