Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Resolved Primary Sidebar - Widgets Issue

Question

Posted · Report post

Hello,

I'd like to have an empty left primary sidebar so I removed all default widgets like search, calendar, categories etc etc

For some reason the sidebar still displays widgets but if I activate only one widget (let's say categories...) then the sidebar will correctly display such widget only.

I already did the standard procedures like deactivating all plugins and cache cleaning.

Some idea?

Thanks

8 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Thank you Simon, it works fine. :)

Just for my information...I always like to learn something new... how to do it by CSS as Catrina suggested?

Posted · Report post

It just required that you hide the text widget using its selector and this CSS attribute but Simon's solution is a lot better (mine is more of a hack): display: none;

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The topic was marked as resolved.

Posted · Report post

Hello,

Do you just want the empty left primary sidebar to be there even though no widgets are added? (The primary sidebar is equipped with default widgets, which explains why they show up automatically if you don't add your own custom widgets to it)

Posted · Report post

Yes I do... I 'd like an empty sidebar (or at least till I'll decide to activate a widget like - let's say - a menu) ....so it seems where I do not set widgets there PL will activate the default widget set... but where I set just one widget there PL doesn't activate default widget set...

Am I correct?

Posted · Report post

Yes, you are correct.

If you need just an empty sidebar, then you should just leave it alone for now. You can add a dummy text widget in there (an empty one) and then use CSS to hide that one so that it's as if content is in there but it's just there to ensure that the other default widgets don't get activated.

Posted · Report post

Catrina, do you have a reference or example script on how to hide a widget (or similar element) by CSS?

Thank you very much.