13 replies to this topic

#1 lmorrell

lmorrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Hi,
My site is nearly complete. However, it is not displaying correctly in IE. I have the compatability button checked. I am now looking at

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

but it seems like a lot to do, I am not sure which bits I need. Any steering advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Lesley

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

Can you please post a screenshot of your site on IE (I don't have IE so I can't check). Also, please make sure you're using the latest version.

#3 lmorrell

lmorrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Hi Catrina,
I send you two screenshots both the same page on in IE9 and the other in Firefox. Both are viewed on a large widesceen monitor, hence lots of background.
I am using fixed width page layout. The images are the problem, they are all too big.
On another computer the white content background is visible in IE

Thanks Lesley

Attached Files

#4 mackenzie

mackenzie

Advocate

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

#5 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:26 AM

We don't support IE7 (nor does Microsoft, for that matter). Framework was created in HTML5 and CSS3, which post-date IE8 and to some extent, IE9. Some CSS doesn't work in IE at all, such as shadows and gradients. We do offer a product (free!) called

. When a particular browser is detected, that CSS is applied and other, conflicting CSS is ignored. There's plenty of guidance online to make CSS3 compatible with previous versions of IE. I'd suggest searching, testing and applying that CSS.

#6 lmorrell

lmorrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

Thanks Rob, (although I guess you will be sleeping at the moment)
I checked and found I am using IE8 so I downloaded IE9 and still find horrific results. I dont normally use IE but I know many of my users will. I have installed/activated the Browser Specific CSS as you suggest, but then I come to a full stop! I don't know how to use it, or actually what it does. I have looked at the code in this plugin and although it looks like a really useful piece of kit, I can see anything about IE, Does more code need to be written? Any more documentation please....
Cheers
Lesley

#7 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

I was trying to find the documentation on it, but it seems to have disappeared. Since you're trying to create IE-specific CSS, you'll need to use this selector at the beginning of your CSS declaration blocks:

So if you're adjusting, for example, a page title that's displaying on IE, the CSS would look like this:

#8 lmorrell

lmorrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

Thanks Catrina,

This is all too difficult for me I'm afraid. I have made a creative website as a newbie with the superb Paglines software and with a great support forum. Almost finished only to find that I cannot make it display in IE. Its very frustrating. I can't write code and I don't understand what, if anything, I can do to make it compatible with possibly 50% of my users.
Surely I'm not the only one with this problem?

Best Regards, and congratulations on the elections.
Lesley

#9 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:23 AM

In your version of IE take off compatibility mode, that can sometimes make it display worse.

If you need to someone to go in and code some fixes for other browsers, have a look at the Pagelines Pros www.pagelines.com/pros they may be able to help further.

#10 lmorrell

lmorrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

ok James, thanks.

If I take off campatibility mode in my browser, how does that help other people view my site?
Should I write instructions on the homepage advising people to change their browsers. Mmm that's going to look professional!

What I would like to know is
1. How do I use the plugin that Rob suggested and I installed. (above)
2. What do other people do about this problem. Surely when other people use pagelines they hit this problem. I have tested it in all browsers and it is fine but IE.. No. What does everyone else do?

Lesley

#11 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

1. The plugin is used to allow you to add browser-specific CSS. I provided an example for you in my previous post that uses the Internet Explorer-specific selector for making an adjustment. If you find that it's difficult for you, you may need to hire a Pro who can help.
2. Other people often leave the issue alone since it's out of their hands or they manage to find a decent workaround that mitigates the problem a little bit (even though it doesn't get rid of the problem completely).

#12 lmorrell

lmorrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

Ok thanks Catrina,
I have disabled compatability view from IE and yes James B is right that help significantly. Now I will resize all images at source and reload and in this way somthing like normality will resume, I hope.
Thanks for your help everyone.
Lesley

#13 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:00 AM

You're welcome Lesley, we're glad that worked for you :)

#14 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:00 AM

The topic was marked as resolved.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Resolved, IE, internet explorer