Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sidebar Not Displaying Properly In Explorer

Question

Posted · Report post

For some reason, the columns for my site, Island Vittles are not displaying properly in Explorer.

The main content column is taking up the whole screen, and my righthand sidebar is being pushed to the bottom of the page.

This is not a problem in Firefox or Safari.

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.

Many thanks.

Theresa

30 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

I am using Explorer 9 and I do not have compatibility mode on. I just checked the display here, and the sidebar is still getting pushed down to the bottom.

Thank you,

Theresa

Posted · Report post

Please try turning compatibility mode on (if you haven't done so already). Also, are you using any custom CSS?

Posted · Report post

Please make sure you're using the latest version of Internet Explorer and post screenshots of your site here (I don't have IE so I can't check it out).

Posted · Report post

Hi Rob,

Wordpress is 3.4.2 and PL is the latest version too. I appreciate your input here.

Posted · Report post

Thank you Catrina! I am using the most recent version of Explorer, here are the screenshots from IslandVittles.com

YskYW.jpg

ccGMN.jpg

Posted · Report post

Hi there, first if you have any third party plugins please disable them and see if the layout resolves, just in case there's a plugin conflict.

Have you added any css or custom code to the sidebar or content area at all?

Posted · Report post

I'll try turning it on right now...no custom CSS.

thank you!

Posted · Report post

Compatibility mode is now turned on -- it doesn't look like it's fixed the problem though.

Posted · Report post

Hi Theresa,

I already informed you last week in Live chat, what is causing your issue.

The Sidebar is most likely being pushed below your content due to incorrect HTML, which you have added to your posts.

To make sure this is not the case, please create a test post, that contains only text no HTML, no images but text only. Once this post has been created, view the post in IE and see if the sidebar has been pushed underneath the content area. If the sidebar is below the content area, then disable all active plugins, remove any custom CSS or custom scripts and then view the post again.

If you still have an issue, we can investigate further.

Posted · Report post

Danny,

I created a test post just as you described after our Live Chat conversation, and found that the lack of html in a post it did not fix the problem, so I came in here to request help.

To demonstrate this to you, I have created another test post, disabled all plugins and removed all custom CSS -- screenshots below.

The sidebar is still below the content area. I would appreciate any further suggestions.

theresa

fPd3y.jpg?1

TiToQ.jpg?1

Posted · Report post

Hi there, I'm not sure what's causing this, i can only assume that some padding it being added somewhere which is causing the sidebar to stack in IE. Could you try adding the following code into Pagelines>Site Options>Custom code. Let us know if this moves the sidebar up in the correct space.

#sidebar1 {

width: 95%;

}

Posted · Report post

Turn off IE compatibility mode.

Posted · Report post

IE compatibility mode has been turned on and off, with no change to the display.

theresa

Posted · Report post

can u post a screenshot with it turned off?

Posted · Report post

Simon,

Those most recent screen shots are with IE Compatibility turned off...shall I post screen shots with it turned back on?

Theresa

Posted · Report post

The screenshots both have it on, see the little broken page icon to to right if the address bar?

Posted · Report post

I have just confirmed that the "Include Google IE Compatibility Script" box in (Pagelines - Site Options - Advanced) is not checked. Here's a new screenshot taken right after I confirmed that:

L6DUU.jpg

Here is the screenshot of my Dashboard, showing that the Compatibility script is not checked:

XYIPX.jpg?1

Posted · Report post

Wow! Simon, that worked! Thank you!

Will the viewers of my page all have to click on the broken page icon in order for it to display on their computers properly? I ask because I also checked it on my laptop, and the display was correct only after I clicked on the same broken icon.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks again!

Theresa

Posted · Report post

Well, its off by default...

Posted · Report post

Add this to customize plugins functions.php:

add_action( 'pagelines_before_html', function() { echo '<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" />'; } );[/CODE]

Posted · Report post

Simon,

After installing the PL Custom Plugin from the store, I added the code as you suggested (following the How to Use the PageLines Customize Plugin video). I am sure I did it correctly, but when I clicked update, I got this message:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in /home/content/v/i/t/vittles/html/wp-content/plugins/pagelines-customize/functions.php on line 45

I am now unable to access any pages on my dashboard or my homepage. That error message is all that comes up. I can't even get into the plugins to delete the changes.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? My site is now inaccessible.

thanks,

theresa

Posted · Report post

Using FTP, or your hosts control panel, open the file, and paste the contents to http://paste.pagelines.com/

Posted · Report post

thank you. I'm now trying to access via FTP.

Posted · Report post

Simon -- thank you for your help...I have removed the code via FTP and the site is back to normal. Rather than push my luck, I think I'll just stop there.

I appreciate all of the time you, and the other staff members spent on my issue. Thanks again.

theresa