• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 radroz

radroz

• Members

• 179 posts
  • LocationClarksville, TN

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

Hey guys, I'm having a major problem with the Framework and a theme I created for it. I duplicated the theme from

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

and loaded it to

, and it's been throwing all kinds of errors.

I checked the validation on both, and ended up with 662 errors on the blindsorfloors.com site:

But the madeintheshadesa.com site has a few errors, but nowhere near as many.

As a result, the page will start to load and then end up with all of the CSS being cleared — settling down with text on a white screen. Or, it'll just show skewed layouts.

Customer is in Canada. I have several more of these to do — so I'm at a loss until I get this figured out.

Yes, I deactivated all plugins. Same problem.

Please help!

Attached Files

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

Did you use this type of custom CSS:
background: url("a link to an image"); or
background-image: url ('a link to an image');

If so, simply remove the single or double quotes.

If not, let us know what CSS you did use.

As for the 662 errors, at one point, our site had over 1500 of them. This results from validators not catching up the Bootstrap, LESS and Compiled CSS, all of which are used in Framework. (Yes, it drives me crazy! ;-) )

Most of them are likely to be Parse errors thrown by the disparity between LESS and the validator.

#3 radroz

radroz

• Members

• 179 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

Typically, I don't use quotes at all for image calls in CSS. On the client's computer, the correct styles load for a couple of seconds, then product the skewed images that I uploaded earlier.

Customer says it's fine in Chrome, but IE9 created the problem. I need to make sure that it's rooted in his computer, and not IE itself. I loaded it on Adobe's Browserlab and it was fine, and then on one of our PCs that has IE9. Both were okay. So, needless to say, I'm banging my head on a wall here.

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

IE9 has a lot of quirks when it comes to CSS3 and HTML5. For example, it doesn't like text shadow or any gradients. I should point out that some fonts are often placed automatically in quotes like "Times New Roman" and often not in custom code. Make sure that your CSS validation didn't include anything in quotes (single or double), even if you did not place it anywhere.

#5 radroz

radroz

• Members

• 179 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

What would cause IE9 to allow the correct styles to show for 2-3 seconds, then revert to defaults? My fonts are from font.com and are called by their system.

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

Honestly, I don't know. It sounds like a possible CSS or JS conflict. It could also be a plugin conflict. It could also be as simple as a missing piece in some custom coding.... like a ; or : or } somewhere along the line. Did you validate your custom CSS?

Does the font.com system use javascript or jquery?

#7 radroz

radroz

• Members

• 179 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:39 AM

Okay, part of the validation problem is also tied to Gravity Forms — but I don't think that's the culprit since I've used that plugin several dozen times with Framework.

The CSS I wrote validates perfectly once I take out the gravity forms code. But again, this is a problem where the pages loads in the customer's IE9, appears okay for a few seconds, then goes to the white screen with black type. He's very frustrated, and I'm not sure what to tell him. Please help!

#8 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

Hi there, just a couple of thoughts to throw in.

Check the permalinks, flush them just in case.
Are you getting any Less/parse errors on the admin bar?
Check your PHP memory is set to 128mb or higher.

#9 radroz

radroz

• Members

• 179 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hi James — I just set it to 256mb (it was at 64). And no, there are no Less errors in the admin bar. I'll see if it resolves anything.

IE7 still shows the white page with black text. It's as if it's not reading the Framework files at all. It's not even giving the typical "cannot locate source files" that it sometimes gives. It's just messing up. :: sigh ::

#10 Jenny

Jenny

Owned by PageLines

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2917 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

Also look to see if there is an error_log in your wordpress root directory (via ftp). Sometimes that can give you an idea of where the errors/issues are coming from.

#11 radroz

radroz

• Members

• 179 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Hi Jenny, there's nothing in the error_log except an old "PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library" error that's been an issue for a few months. The problem looks like it's rejecting my style sheet after loading it briefly.

#12 beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Unicorn Wrangler

• Members

• 1219 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

Did you happen to fix this? I just ran your site through both IE8 and IE9 and both look absolutely fabulous.

Nick

P.S - PageLines does not support IE7, as it's extremely outdated.

#13 radroz

radroz

• Members

• 179 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

The people having problem with it are in Canada. American browsers don't seem to have an issue. Any ideas as to why that might be? I've checked the site through a couple of Canadian proxies, and it is inconsistent at best. This is very, very annoying.

@beardedavenger - thank you. :)

#14 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

Are you using the less file mode?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: W3, Validation, css