Social icons

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ikkledesigns

ikkledesigns

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

Hi there - I am seeking documentation that would help me customise (add my own images) for the social icon buttons.

I have looked around the forum and have seen that there are a few discussions on the topic - but each are very specific to the individuals' needs.

I am more designer than coder and so would appreciate a step by step approach to getting results that I can duplicate.

What I presently know:
Customisations are best completed with the 'Customise plugin' or the 'Base theme' - I am using the later.
The new icon images should be uploaded to the media gallery - or online somewhere with a clear URL.

It is after this things get muddled.

In the post dated 15 Oct 12 - 'Change Social website icons' - I see what I believe to be two methods to change the icon images. However I am not clear which one to use and what the main differences are, or how to go about them fully.

For example is it possible to take the method extracted (from the demo theme site in discussion) as stated by Rob (16 Oct @ 10.43pm) and tweak it for general use? And if so where exactly should I place the code 1) if I am using the plugin and 2) if I am just using the base theme. Will I need to ftp to edit the html or can this be done from within Wordpress.

I apologise if my request is over simplistic - but I promise to share my findings once I succeed. However if there is documentation already available - please point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance.
newbie to PG

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

Hi there,

In order to add additional items to icons you'll need to use a hook. The hook data can be added to either the base theme or the customise plugin in the functions.php. Which you decide to use if up to you, both provide the exactly same files to edit. For each method, customise plugin or base theme you'll need to enter the php code into the functions.php and the css into the style.css (or style.less in later editions of the base theme).

An example hook can be found on the link you were looking at 16th Oct,

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

The code on the above link can be taken and altered to match the icons and links you require on your site. You can edit via the wordpress editor in appearance>editor or via Ftp. The process is the same for each.

#3 ikkledesigns

ikkledesigns

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Much appreciated - will dig in a little further and get it to work.

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

The topic was marked as resolved.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Resolved, Social icons