Photo
- - - - -

Help Me Strategize How To Do A One-Page Website

onepage sections

Best Answer James B , 30 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

Hi there, yes you can apply a different bg for each cloned section. They'll all be given a class like .clone_3 etc. Some sections like boxes will actually allow you to chose a class name in the meta settings. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 biklops

biklops

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

Hi Pageliners!

I'm designing a one-page website similar to the one I designed here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

. I used the Catalyst Wordpress Framework for that site. I chose my layout to be one long column of widgets, then used the 'Page in Widgets' plugin to make the site essentially a long stack of pages. The advantage to that is that each section has a page ID# so I could use CSS to give each section its own look/feel/background.

Now that I've made the switch to Pagelines I'm much happier but not really sure how I'd recreate the above. Can anyone help me strategize how to make a long, one-page website with multiple photo galleries, etc.? Can I put widgets inside different Pagelines sections?

Thank you for helping a beginner get a grasp!
  • Jason M likes this

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

Thebayhouse.com doesn't exist (I get a blank site). Can you please re-post the link?

#3 biklops

biklops

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

I'm a fool! We just switched urls to

. Sorry!

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

From browsing the website, you'll definitely need to use the Fixed Nav Bar for the main navigation and use a custom menu (created using Appearance > Menus) to add custom menu item links that use anchor links (links that allow you to navigate within a single page)

#5 biklops

biklops

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Thanks catrina! My main concern is how I would do each section. Would I just clone a bunch of sections and drag them into a stack in the drag and drop layout editor? Will I be able to specify a different background for each section?

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4979 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:11 PM   Best Answer

Hi there, yes you can apply a different bg for each cloned section. They'll all be given a class like .clone_3 etc. Some sections like boxes will actually allow you to chose a class name in the meta settings.

#7 Jason M

Jason M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

biklops - did you figure out how to recreate a site like bayhousenaples in pagelines, yet?  This has become a very popular trend and one that I'm seeing a lot for event design.  I have a client that would like to go down this road all of their conference websites and I'd like to stick with pagelines if possible.

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

Hi Jason,

I'm not sure that you're going to get a reply quickly as this topic is four months old. I'd recommend opening a new topic with specific questions that address your concerns. This way you'll get much more and better attention in a timely manner.

#9 biklops

biklops

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

Oh I can answer this right away! No problem—

I found pagelines to be counter-intuitive and clunky. I tried it twice and have no abandoned it—and I never found a way to do a site like the Bay House—which is why I now use Ultimatum for anything requiring some real design flexibility. I'll keep an eye on Pagelines—some more flexibility and power and a COMPLETE rethinking UX and I could jump back on.

#10 Jason M

Jason M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for the replies!  I'll also have to check out Ultimatum and also see if this can be done soon with Pagelines.

#11 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

Jason, I'd still recommend opening a new topic on this subject, with the details of what you're trying to achieve.  Your goals may sound similar, but we've found most times there are differences that we can help with individually. 

#12 Jason M

Jason M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:04 AM

Will do, Rob.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: onepage, sections