Photo
- - - - -
Resolved

Action Hook For When A Custom Section Is Updated

action hooks section updates

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 infogroupsmb

infogroupsmb

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

I am attempting to write a custom function to send the header and footer areas of the the pages to a .net web service anytime the content of the header or footer area is updated. I have worked out the WordPress action hook for when the menus are updated,

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

, but I need to also call my function when the header or footer sections are updated via pagelines. We have custom sections that are being used for the header and footer areas.

I have looked through the Action hooks here:

and watched the hook tutorial here:

The video is talking more about Filters than Actions (using WordPress terminology) and the list of Actions in the api page doesn't show anything that might relate to updating a specific section.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Is there a pre-exisiting Action hook for when a custom section's site wide settings are updated such as through PageLines > Page Options and selecting the section?

2. If not, how can a custom Action hook be added to a section's update?

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:43 AM

Hi there, I honestly don't know the answer on that one, but I will forward your request on to one of our developers and either myself or someone on the team will get back to you shortly to advise further.

#3 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

Wordpress has a built in action hook for any option saved to the database, so you can use option_pagelines-settings-two

#4 infogroupsmb

infogroupsmb

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

If I understand you correctly Simon_P option_pagelines-settings-two will trigger when any option is saved. Is there a way to add an action hook to a specific custom pagelines section? Otherwise option_pagelines-settings-two will be triggering all the time and I only want to do all the processing and call the web service when the menus, custom header section or custom footer section are updated.

#5 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

Oh right, well in that case you could the ploption filter....

so if the option is footer_text for example, filter will be ploption_footer_text

Its a filter so you MUST pass the option back. You can see it in use here

#6 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

Actually thats not gonna work...

This is how id suggest you do it...

First add an action that hooks into the option_pagelines-special option...when its triggered it can copy the settings you are monitoring to a temp setting. The the next time it is triggered, it can compare the saved 'new' setting with your temp setting ( the old one ), if they are different then fire your API calls.

#7 infogroupsmb

infogroupsmb

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

We don't really care that much if the actual value of the option is being changes, just that someone has updated it. Also, it's not necessary to trigger this when someone makes a page specific change, but only when they update the site default options through pagelines > page options > site defaults.

#8 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

In that case just use the option_pagelines-special option action

#9 infogroupsmb

infogroupsmb

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

May I ask for an example? For instance in order to call my updater function when a WP menu is changed I use

So to trigger the same function when the the page options for the custom header and footer sections are updated I'd use

?

And if that is correct, how does it know to only trigger when specific page options are changed, i.e. the header and footer options? I was assuming I'd have to add some custom hook to those 2 sections.

#10 infogroupsmb

infogroupsmb

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Ok so

seems to trigger any time someone navigates to any page options page, not just when an update occurs.
and
it seems to trigger every time a ploption is pulled to populate the page options page which means it is calls WAY too many times (and has even caused the script to timeout now)

#11 infogroupsmb

infogroupsmb

Advanced Member

• Members

• 37 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

Simon, though

didn't work your suggestion lead me in the right direction. The hook I ended up using is

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction :D

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

I'm very happy you were able to resolve this. Well done!

#13 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

The topic was marked as resolved.