Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:36 PM
I have my blog set up with article clips on the home page: www.elderbranch.com/blog. I'd like to modify this to present blog items by category - by creating 2 or 3 sections on the page. Similar to what you see on this blog: www.nerdwallet.com/blog with a link to 'previous entries' on the bottom of each section. We tried doing this by utilizing 'boxes' but it doesn't seem to work. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:04 PM
1. Install these two plugins: and .
2. First, install Boxer, so that you have the containers for your posts. PLEASE read the instructions for each very carefully.
3. For each category you want to display the most recent posts in, please create a heading and two boxes below it. Boxer uses Content Blocks (same as Boxes), complete with sets. Each set should have a corresponding category. Create your shortcodes in the order you wish and add them in HTML mode to a static page (not called blog).
4. Set up your categories (if you did not already) and categorize your posts. Note the category number for each.
5. Create the shortcode for the recent posts. You may elect to use or not use thumbnails. Put a copy of the extended shortcode into each content block set up so that the left one has no offset, but the right column has an offset of 1. This allows you to display the most recent and second most recent posts in the category.
Remember, you still need a general blog page with only default formatting as a place to refer people for more posts. So, at the bottom of the post grouping, add a link back to the blog page.
Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:13 PM
Thanks for your reply.
I want to clarify that the steps you outline will allow me to achieve the following: create 3 separate sections with mutually exclusive posts in each. Each section should display a specified number of posts, and all other posts in that section should be available by clicking "previous entries" which should appear at the end of each section. What you described appears to only allow 2 posts to appear in each category with no "previous entries" link to access the rest. Have I misunderstood?
If the above will allow me to achieve what I described above, I'm a complete newbie so really need more detailed instructions if possible.
1- When you say "create a heading and two boxes below it" - where do I go to do each of those two steps?
2- How do I assign a category to a set?
3- What are shortcodes?
Would you be able to help me with this?
Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:49 PM
As I said, in each box, a shortcode is placed. It looks something like this, but more detailed: [this is a shortcode]
The instructions for each plugin are on the plugin pages at WP.org. Please read them thoroughly and carefully and you should do well.
If you have a heading like "Recipes"
Then boxes below it for "Breakfast" and "Lunch", in each box, the shortcode would pull ONE post from the category you selected. Mutually exclusive.
The heading is created in the page. The boxer set is created by shortcode below it.
IN the boxer content block, you place a shortcode for each category.