Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Resolved upgrading to 2.3.3 deletes my theme

Question

Posted · Report post

So when I updated the pagelines framework from 2.3.2 to 2.3.3 the update process did not work and deleted the pagelines theme from my host but did not install the new one. So as I have had a similar problem 2 weeks ago and was advised on here to reinstall the theme onto my host thats what I have done this time too.

the website is www.bhesco.co.uk

I have a copy of pagelines.zip but it is a copy of 2.2.5 - when this has been uploaded the site re-appears but there remain some issues:

1. the widgets page does not load correctly - screenshot seen here: wordpress error1

2. the menu page does not load correctly

3. any attempt to upgrade the theme to 2.3.3 now leaves the site in maintenance mode indefinitely (I tried 10 times+ yesterday)

4. the visual layout editor does not work (all text in white and written in html)

5. my "Links" page that had the connections plugin does not work - template deleted? screenshot seen here: wordpress error3

6. the FS Contact forms options plugin no longer works

This is a new start up and we are just beginning to invite people to a launch so I really need the site up and working reliably...

Thanks for your help in advance

40 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

ah..if only it WAS a whim... I am simply trying to get my website to work reliably. I am sorry if you feel this is me 'mucking about' but as the company director of bhesco.co.uk and not a pagelines 'rockstar' I am failing to understand what this problem is.

As all I get now is a blank white screen with pagelines 2.2.5 uploaded onto the host I am not even able to get into the plug ins on the dashboard and i'm afraid I don;t know how to do it from filezilla.

when I go and change the WP_DEBUG config file back to true this is what I get:

Notice: get_current_theme is deprecated since version 3.4! Use wp_get_theme() instead. in /content/sites/b/h/bhesco.co.uk/web/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2638 Notice: Undefined index: ourprogresssubmit in /content/sites/b/h/bhesco.co.uk/web/wp-content/plugins/fundraising-thermometer-plugin-for-wordpress/ourprogress.php on line 47 Notice: register_sidebar_widget is deprecated since version 2.8! Use wp_register_sidebar_widget() instead. in /content/sites/b/h/bhesco.co.uk/web/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2638 Fatal error: Call to a member function register_tab() on a non-object in /content/sites/b/h/bhesco.co.uk/web/wp-content/plugins/pagelines-sections/pagelines-soapbox/section.php on line 62

Thanks for your continued patience with me... and I appreciate all the help you can give.

Posted · Report post

OK, can you get into wp-admin? if so disable the plugin that is causing the deprecated notice.

Looks like the soapbox section needs to be disabled. So for now just delete the folder from pagelines-sections, then load wp-admin and visit the 'store' tab to reset all the sections.

Posted · Report post

nope - wp-admin is also just a blank white screen with the message about deprecated theme...

So,

if I delete (using filezilla) : content/sites/b/h/bhesco.co.uk/web/wp-content/plugins/fundraising-thermometer-plugin-for-wordpress/ourprogress.php

and

/content/sites/b/h/bhesco.co.uk/web/wp-content/plugins/pagelines-sections/pagelines-soapbox/section.php

will this restore it?

Posted · Report post

delete the folder pagelines-soapbox/

Posted · Report post

ok - done - we have lift off. I still have the debug set to true.

How am I going to be able to upgrade to 2.3.3? I seem to have other problems (like not being able to add photos to the media library) and assume these are all related to not being able to upgrade? Is this still a problem with the host do you think?

Now when I get to the wp-admin dashboard this is the message I receive:

Notice: get_current_theme is deprecated since version 3.4! Use wp_get_theme() instead. in /content/sites/b/h/bhesco.co.uk/web/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2638 Notice: Undefined index: ourprogresssubmit in /content/sites/b/h/bhesco.co.uk/web/wp-content/plugins/fundraising-thermometer-plugin-for-wordpress/ourprogress.php on line 47 Notice: register_sidebar_widget is deprecated since version 2.8! Use wp_register_sidebar_widget() instead. in /content/sites/b/h/bhesco.co.uk/web/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2638 Notice: has_cap was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 2.0! Usage of user levels by plugins and themes is deprecated. Use roles and capabilities instead. in /content/sites/b/h/bhesco.co.uk/web/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2722 Notice: has_cap was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 2.0! Usage of user levels by plugins and themes is deprecated. Use roles and capabilities instead. in /content/sites/b/h/bhesco.co.uk/web/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2722 Notice: has_cap was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 2.0! Usage of user levels by plugins and themes is deprecated. Use roles and capabilities instead. in /content/sites/b/h/bhesco.co.uk/web/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2722 Warning: fopen(/content/sites/b/h/bhesco.co.uk/web/wp-content/plugins/pagelines-sections/pagelines-sections.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /content/sites/b/h/bhesco.co.uk/web/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3306 Warning: fread() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /content/sites/b/h/bhesco.co.uk/web/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3309 Warning: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /content/sites/b/h/bhesco.co.uk/web/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3312 Notice: Undefined index: tab in /content/sites/b/h/bhesco.co.uk/web/wp-content/plugins/viperbar/admin/admin_main.php on line 20 Notice: Undefined index: tab in /content/sites/b/h/bhesco.co.uk/web/wp-content/plugins/viperbar/admin/admin_main.php on line 44

What next?

Posted · Report post

Well all of those errors you are seeing are bad plugins, either turn off debug or disable them.

Looks like you deleted the whole pagelines-sections folder?

Anyway, you already said before that you cant upgrade for 2 reasons:

1. You wacky hosts file permissions break the wordpress upgrader.

2. Only having 32M is too restrictive.

Posted · Report post

no - didn't delete the whole pagelines-sections folder... pretty sure i didnt

so - i have talked to the support people there at the 'wacky' host... just so you know they say that their settings are set so that all of their hosted sites share 128M of PHP between them... this is how they are set up. They have over 0.5Mill hosted sites !!

They have never come across pagelines apparently and have never had this problem before.

Looks like I am going to have move the whole lot to the other hosting platform i use... what a pain in the ****

Posted · Report post

Sorry about that, I'll make a test script when I get home to test the actual memory.

Posted · Report post

So, Namesco inform me that:

"The memory_limit() setting in php.ini is set to 128Mb, not 32Mb, so I don't know where Pagelines have got that figure from."

so what can be happening instead?

Posted · Report post

er... sorry to sound stupid but i'm not sure how that works... can you walk me through it?

I think we have decided to move everything to a different host... nathan @namesco seemed to think this was out best bet too!

Posted · Report post

er... sorry to sound stupid but i'm not sure how that works... can you walk me through it?

I think we have decided to move everything to a different host... nathan @namesco seemed to think this was out best bet too!

LOL some salesman he is!!

OK create a new file in your blog folder, public_html or wherever index.php is, call it test.php and paste this into it: http://paste.pagelines.com/3ar@raw

then open that file in your browser http://www.brightgreenhomes.co.uk/test.php

Posted · Report post

The error was that its was unable to allocate 32M memory so the script failed, if they are insisting that its 128 then either the person you spoke to has no clue, or they are just lying to you.

To be honest Id use an actual webhost for clint sites rather than a cheap domain domain registrar that are selling hosting as a sideline.

Posted · Report post

It would appear this issue has been resolved, if you have any further questions, reply here and we will reopen the topic.

Posted · Report post

The topic was marked as resolved.

Posted · Report post

I've done all these things and now it says error 404 file not found.

I have saved test.php (with all the text copied and pasted) to my host : web/ where the index.php file is.

this isn;t to do with the fact that we are doing this on the www.bhesco.co.uk website not the brightgreenhomes one?

Posted · Report post

just been to check the website and its stopped working again - the features are all spread out across the page and the post content gone to pot... argghhh,....

i'm going home - look at it again in the morning .... arghhh...

if you want to log in to the www.bhesco.co.uk/wp-admin then ####### is what you need...

Posted · Report post

As I mentioned in your other thread on the same issue, your hosting is too restrictive for the wordpress upgrader to work properly.

Your only option is to download the zip from your members area here on pagelines.com and unzip it and upload the contents into the themes/pagelines folder.

Posted · Report post

Hi Simon,

so - I have begun the process of unravelling the problems with the site... deactivated the plugins and reactivated and this seems to have solved post of the issues.... seems the mailchimp plugin sending everything crazy...

Hope we are there now... I'm beginning the process of transferring the site...

Posted · Report post

ok... I haven't heard anything back... but i have resolved the issue with my links page... had to re-install the plugin and re-set.

the menu page, the contact forms and the visual editor all seem to have miraculously fixed themselves...

I still have to update but i am not going to do it now until i can be sure that it will not affect our launch....

Posted · Report post

Sorry simon,

our posts obviously overlapped... i am sorry for starting a new thread - I'm afraid the last one was high jacked by someone else with a different issue...

I will try that...

Posted · Report post

Links template deleted? Did you put the template in the pagelines folder??? The idea is to use a child theme like the base theme, its just a blank theme that plugins like this can throw its templates into. Then upgrading will not delete them.

Posted · Report post

Most webhosts do not set shared hosting to 128MB without request. This helps them maximize usage, so chances are namesco didn't have a grasp on the problem. Glad to hear you got the site up and running tho!

Posted · Report post

ok - so i took your advice and downloaded 2.3.3 from the members area, deleted the old pagelines theme unzipped and uploaded the new 2.3.3 with filezilla to my host in the themes folder.... and the whole formatting shot - www.bhesco.co.uk

this could not happen at a worse time... knew i should have left it well alone... please help urgently!!