Photo
- - - - -
Resolved

Extremely slow website loading time

Best Answer Simon_P , 17 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

How can this file be compressed?

If you have an issue PLEASE read the instructions here and start a new topic explaining your problem and give a link to a site to test.

You have already asked the same question on another topic which i also replied to.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lwarren1500

lwarren1500

• Members

• 6 posts
  • Framework Version:DMS2

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

I can't figure out why my site is loading like a slug. It's based almost completely on the amount of time it's taking for one css file to load.

/wp-content/themes/pagelines/pagelines-compiled-css-1_1350316783/

I've taken the following measures and it still is painfully slow:

1. Enabled CSS minification
2. Installed W3 Total Cache plugin
3. Setup Amazon Cloudfront
4. Increased php memory limit to 128

I've run my page through Pingdom and it's telling me that my site is 88% slower than all other sites. (screen shot attached)

Any advice is greatly appreciated. BTW, I am NOT an expert on how to best setup W3 Total Cache so if anyone has advice on what to enable and what not to enable, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Leann

Attached Files

#2 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

This has been asked 100's of times ;)

1. W3 cache is OK for static page cache but NEVER use the disk based object/database cache!!! Unless you have access to APC/memcached memory caches, and you wont on shared hosting!

2. Your using cloudfront as a CDN but only 8 objects are using it, favicon and 7 images, non of the css/js/framework images are using the cache. So that isnt setup right either.

3. Enable the static css file mode by adding define( 'LESS_FILE_MODE', true ); to wp-config.php
  • designshop likes this

#3 lwarren1500

lwarren1500

• Members

• 6 posts
  • Framework Version:DMS2

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

Sorry for the repeat. I did search the forum but didn't find any answer that addressed everything I had attempted. Perhaps this is a topic for the Docs (which I did try to find and got

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

)

O.k. Here's what I did after your reply:

1. Got the W3 Total Cache settings squared away.
2. Got Cloudfront setup correctly with images, css, js using the cache
3. Added define( 'LESS_FILE_MODE', true ); to wp-config.php

Results: these changes made a HUGE difference. My pages are loading quickly now.

Thanks for the help.

#4 mackenzie

mackenzie

Advocate

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:59 AM

The topic was marked as resolved.

#5 ingrid_lorena

ingrid_lorena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hi Simon,

I have the same problem with my website but I just started! I have less than one page done. My site is so slow that I haven't even able to finish one page! I was reading previous posting and everybody installed the W3 Total Cache plugin so I was about to install it BUT the video tutorial for W3 Total Cache plugin says that it should be installed until the website is done. What can I do? I have my hosting in godaddy and someone told me that godaddy was very slow in running wordpress. What can I do? I am desperate!!!

#6 blzalewski

blzalewski

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Is this true ^? that installing w3total cache shouldn't be done until the website is done? I'm constantly modifying my website

#7 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

Well no, why do you want a cached site while you are developing it?

#8 elegua

elegua

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

I have the same problem on a couple of my sites. I also suggested a friend use PageLines, she spent the money, bought it, and now her site is extremely slow. I have done all of the above in the suggestions. I have checked my site on every web site test, and the css, and js always show they take at least 6-12 seconds to load. I am going to see if I can't somehow get these files to move to CloudFront.

#9 elegua

elegua

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

- Oh, and one last thing. That 6-12 seconds is a blank page, nothing else is loaded until those files load. 

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

Hi,

What are the RAM resources allocated to PHP? You can find this out through the PHP Info file.  If you don't have one, ask the host.

If it's less than 64Mb ask them to raise it to that minimum.

#11 elegua

elegua

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

I am not certain why RAM would have anything to do with transfer speed. I think it may have something to do with the size of the file, and that it cannot be compressed, and the name changes dynamically so you can't send it to a CDN, or really, do anything that I have found so far. Memory, btw, is already set at 64.

#12 elegua

elegua

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

#13 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:34 PM   Best Answer

If you have an issue PLEASE read the instructions here and start a new topic explaining your problem and give a link to a site to test.

You have already asked the same question on another topic which i also replied to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Resolved