Photo
- - - - -

Which features to use for specific layout?

features

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 texter

texter

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Howdy,

I'm fairly new to the Pagelines framwork and in the process of setting up different homepage templates.

I'm not sure which "features" (boxes, hero, etc.) would be most appropriate for implementing a template layout that matches the attached wireframe - for instance -

1) which feature would provide me with a two column archive of news teasers?

2) which feature would be best for showing a full width display of logos? I'm not sure a "carousel" is right...?

3) how to customize the footer with 2 single column width chunks and a third double column width?

Thanks.

Attached Files

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

If you're using the blog to post your news posts, you can use Magazine Layout Mode in PageLines > Site Options > Blog And Posts.

2) which feature would be best for showing a full width display of logos? I'm not sure a "carousel" is right...?
A Carousel would be appropriate if you want the logos to appear in a scrolling gallery format. If not that, then Boxes (one logo for each box) would be appropriate. Boxes would be best if you also plan on adding titles/descriptions to the logos.

3) how to customize the footer with 2 single column width chunks and a third double column width?
You'll need to use Custom CSS to adjust the widths of these columns. Please see here for reference:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 xavaireland

xavaireland

Advanced Member

• Members

• 65 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

Hi
I am trying to do something similar but the home page - I want 2 box in a box set but I want them to be 67% of the content width and 33% of the content width instead of 50-50 - what is the easiest way of achieving that?
Thanks
Xava

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

To achieve that, please use Custom CSS:

#5 xavaireland

xavaireland

Advanced Member

• Members

• 65 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

I want to use the NextGen Gallery shortcode inside a box as it will be easier for a client to edit after I deliver the website to them - is it possible to embed shortcodes inside boxes? I could go down the route of using the grid in the content section but I would like to avoid that if I can - please help.

#6 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

You can try inserting the shortcode into a Box to see if it works. If not, then you'll need to implement the shortcode in a Content Box section.

#7 xavaireland

xavaireland

Advanced Member

• Members

• 65 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

Can the content box be used just like a box? Actually I guess I could place custom css to display it inline with my other box - that could work - Thanks Catrina.

PS - I tried the shortcode and even [ code]<?php echo do_shortcode("[shortcode]"); ?>[/ code] from inside a box but neither worked for me :( The jQuery plugin did not work properly from within the box while it works if I place it in the page content.

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15042 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

Hi,

The Nextgen Gallery shortcode isn't this:

It should look something like this:

For a list of NextGen Gallery shortcodes view their documentation:

#9 texter

texter

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

Howdy - my original question:

Catrina's answer: If you're using the blog to post your news posts, you can use Magazine Layout Mode in PageLines > Site Options > Blog And Posts.

To clarify, I'm looking for a solution specific to the homepage, where I would like a two column blog post "teaser" section. Which "feature" would provide that functionality on the homepage?

Thank you.

#10 texter

texter

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

Hi - regarding a full width row of graphics on the homepage, my original question:

Catrina's answer: A Carousel would be appropriate if you want the logos to appear in a scrolling gallery format. If not that, then Boxes (one logo for each box) would be appropriate. Boxes would be best if you also plan on adding titles/descriptions to the logos.

My followup question:

I'm already using one set of boxes, three across, beneath the featured slider on the homepage.

Is it possible to have a second set of boxes on the homepage, at a different size? If yes, I'm not sure how to configure the "boxes" section in Pagelines > Page Options - it looks like there can only be one definition of a single set of boxes. Can I have multiple "boxes" definitions, numbers and setups on the homepage, basically like this:

[ box set #1 ] [ box set #1 ] [ box set #1 ]

[ box set#2 ] [ box set#2 ] [ box set#2 ] [ box set#2 ] [ box set#2 ] [ box set#2 ]

#11 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

Yes, it's possible to have a second set of boxes on the homepage. You can clone a box set in Drag & Drop and configure that box set in PageLines > Site Options. However, you can't have multiple box sets in one row. Only one box set can take up one row and you can control how many boxes shows up in that one row.
  • texter likes this

#12 texter

texter

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hi - I don't mean to be dense - I can't see a place to set this in "site options" - I do see a place to do it in "Page Option Setup" - but I don't see where to set more than one set of boxes?

There is a selector: "Box Set To Show"

How do I set more than one BoxSet, and where in the "drag and drop" options do I assign box sets to position on the page?

For instance, in this template I now have "boxes" and then I cloned that, and have "boxes #2" - where do I assign the box set to each of these?

Thank you.

#13 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

You'll need to clone the Box section in Drag & Drop first then in PageLines Meta Settings (on the page where you have the Box sets set up), you can select the box set to display.
  • texter likes this

#14 texter

texter

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

OOOH, I see. Very nifty - cool, thanks.

#15 texter

texter

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

There were a number of questions in this thread - wanted to make sure this one didn't get lost in the fray:

Howdy - my original question:

Catrina's answer: If you're using the blog to post your news posts, you can use Magazine Layout Mode in PageLines > Site Options > Blog And Posts.

To clarify, I'm looking for a solution specific to the homepage, where I would like a two column blog post "teaser" section. Which "feature" would provide that functionality on the homepage?

Thank you.

#16 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

You can place the blog roll on the homepage template and use magazine mode to display it columns as per Catrina's message.

We don't have any other sections that will pull in blog posts in a two column format. You'd need to look at a custom plugin which could achieve this. Something Boxer

maybe?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: features