9 replies to this topic

#1 petew89

petew89

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:16 AM

Hi there,

I'm currently building a site in PageLines and am hoping to make the site center vertically AND horizontally, similar to this:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Is this possible? If yes, please let me know what I need to do.

Regards,
Peter

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15120 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

Hi Peter,

I apologise but I am not quite sure what you mean by centered both vertically and horizontally. The site you linked, just looks like it has a standard layout with one sidebar left and content to the right of the sidebar or am I missing something ?

#3 petew89

petew89

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

Hi Danny,

If you're able to look at it on a large/r screen you might notice that the content (left sidebar+content) is always centered.. Even when re-sizing the window.

Have a look again if you can, and try re-sizing your window and check out what the website and its content does. That's essentially what I'm looking to do.

Hopefully I'm making some sense!

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15120 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

Hi,

I really do apologise but I can't view it on a larger screen, my desktop is current not working and so I am viewing the site on my MacBookPro 15". Therefore, can you provide screenshots so I can get an understanding please.

#5 petew89

petew89

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

Hi Danny,

Not a problem. Here it is on my 27" Mac.

Posted Image

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

Okay, here's the problem with this concept. If you have code to vertically center the content in all browsers, it will seriously harm any mobile view. Literally, the content might be off the screen in an iPhone, iPad, Kindle, Nook or other mobile device. That will seriously cost you in terms of visitors.

In CSS, there's no easy option to dynamically center content vertically. You'd literally have to set a fixed height, which makes the site non-responsive. Even if you used a percentage, if the content is dropped 30%, that means about 1/3 of the screen is unseen by your visitors on mobile views.

I see the issue you're having with a 27-inch Mac screen, but you must consider too, the person viewing on a 4" screen, the 12" screen and the 60" screen. I doubt people will dislike your site if they can see it. However, I guaranty they will dislike if they cannot see it.

#7 petew89

petew89

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:59 AM

Surprisingly, it actually seems to work great on an iPad and iPhone..

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

Unfortunately, we do not provide support for other company's themes. Please seek support from the theme being used. That's not a PageLines product.

#9 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

The topic was marked as resolved.

#10 petew89

petew89

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:05 AM

Unfortunately, we do not provide support for other company's themes. Please seek support from the theme being used. That's not a PageLines product.

Rob, I'm not asking for support for another company's theme. If you'd read my initial post you would see that the link I provided is simply an example of what I was hoping to achieve with your product.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Resolved