Photo

EcoPro Highlight Fullwidth Template?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 guerrilla

guerrilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:20 PM

I'm wanting to use the Feature Title & Media capabilities of the Highlight template, as well as the Feature Boxes, however I don't want a sidebar. Also, both the Feature page fullwidth and standard templates don't show the features. What would cause that?

#2 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:31 PM

It's hard to say without a link to the site. If the features aren't showing at all I would say press the "restore to default" button at the bottom of the features admin panel. I can help remove the sidebar on the other templates if you provide a link.

#3 guerrilla

guerrilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:52 AM

Site Url for Clallam County YMCA (Under Development)

I hesitate to restore to default because I've done quite a lot of editing to get it to match the required branding guidelines established by the national headquarters. I will if I absolutely have to, but my concern is what happens when I restore the customization.

There are more glitches happening now, however. For example, you can see the settings Them Options > Show full content on all blog pages doesn't show full content on the archive/category pages. Is this not an option?

We're also looking at purchasing additional copies for the associate YMCAs in the area, so getting all the bugs worked out now would be a very good thing (because I think EcoPro is an excellent solution for theme and a darn impressive bit of coding).

What I've done is make extensive changes in the custom.css and specific color css file changing mostly colors and some minor font size and vertical spacing. Keeping in mind the desired purchase of multiple copies of EcoPro for multiple sites, each with a different color scheme specified national, I' hoping to port one consistent set of customized files (custom.css, pro.css and color.css (red, black, green, etc.)). I don't *think* any of that should tromp actual functionality or layout.

Or maybe I'm not understanding some of the options.

#4 guerrilla

guerrilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:57 AM

I should mention that I created this color scheme by replacing the color options and background graphics for the "red" color scheme. I thought this would be easier for the client should they need to make another change in color scheme down the road and wanted to select one of the other options. Oh, and one other question, while you're looking at the site. I can't seem to find what or where I need to put a change to the .morefoot area to remove the background graphic short of editing the pro.css file itself. I was hoping I could just add a change to the custom.css or specific color css file that would override the background graphic (ideally, morefoot area should be white). What and where should I be adding an override to the Morefoot background graphic? I thought the custom.css was the last to load, but my changes didn't have any affect. Even changing color css didn't have an affect.

#5 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:00 AM

The only place you want to add custom CSS is in:

Theme Options > Custom Code > Custom CSS

that way it's saved in the settings and can be backed up to the database. Otherwise, if you hard code it into the actual files, they'll be overwritten on upgrade.

For you Highlight page issue, can you please provide the exact link to the page that has the Highlight so I can help you remove the sidebar?

Thanks, Bryan

#6 guerrilla

guerrilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:24 AM

Test Highlight Page URL

Can I make the sidebar go away and get the content text to span fullwidth? If it's a pain, I can probably convince the client to use the Feature Slideshow, however...

Here's the Test Feature Fullwidth URL and the question is why don't I see the Feature Slideshow using this template. It looks no different than the Fullwidth Page to me.

As for putting all of the custom css in the custom css, I could put it all in the custom css Theme Options, but a) it's a lot of code and we're still tinkering with it in BBedit (which is a lot easier and safer than trying to do all of that by hand for me) and B) if I have to Restore All Defaults, I'd lose all my custom code anyway. With a separate custom.css file (uploaded to the EcoPro CSS directory), I can offsite archive it against loss as well as maintain some version control.

I may copy-and-paste it into the Theme Options once we've nailed everything and gotten a sign-off from national, but I still want a complete copy of the code backed-up in a couple of places against loss... I hate re-coding stuff.

Thanks for your help.

#7 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:18 AM

- Okay, place this in Custom CSS or wherever you wish:

`
.page-template-page-highlight-php #sidebar{display:none}

.page-template-page-highlight-php #maincontent{width:960px}
`
Now, I always recommend, placing the code in Custom CSS because it will make it easier in the future, but whatever works for you. Now, "Restoring to Default" is a last resort, but shouldn't matter greatly, because you should backup all your files, settings and database anyways before making huge changes.

- For; http://clallamcounty...e-template-page - Have you actually created and enabled the feature? Also, is it being used anywhere else?

Thanks, Bryan

#8 guerrilla

guerrilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:17 AM

Thanks for the highlight page hack! I don't know why I didn't think of taking it to that level of specificity.

As for the second question, yes, the slideshow features are on the home page. http://clallamcountyymca.org/

There's discussion about doing the home page without the sidebar menu as a sort of "splash page" and then re-directing to the local sites when they are up -- which is where this whole conversation about fullwidth came up. Originally, the CEO was wanting "static" text with images that rotated out in the highlight area each time the page was reloaded (I've got that code solution and it works in the slideshow as well). Now he's been making noise about going ahead and using the slideshow feature for the homepage and using the highlight solution for some special content they want to highlight throughout the year.

But the fullwidth home page debate continues...

Thanks again for your help with the highlight hack.

Oh, and the other reason why the custom CSS may not end up in the Theme Options is that the people maintaining the site may know just enough to be dangerous if they can get their hands on the custom CSS, but they don't know enough to find the custom.css file on the server. But, yes, I may take your advice, once the changes are nailed and load everything in the Theme Options Custom Code.

I bow to your superior knowledge.

Oh, I almost forgot. Do you happen to know how I can kill the graphic background in the .morefoot area in the custom CSS? I've tried:
 #morefoot .morefoot_back {background: #fff; background-image: none; }

But it keeps getting trumped by pro.css. Do I have to go in and hardcode change pro.css?

#9 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:27 PM

Speaking of dangerous you could always use the `!important` declaration if you get tired of your code being trumped, otherwise trying being more specific than the pro selector.

#10 guerrilla

guerrilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

Thanks so much! I keep forgetting about the
 !important
option. It did the trick.

#11 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate