5 replies to this topic

#1 rlrigdon

rlrigdon

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA
  • Framework Version:Framework 2.3

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:02 AM

I'm pretty new to Pagelines so forgive me if this is something simple.

I am in the midst of converting a site to Pagelines from a hand-coded theme. ( the current site can be found at darkwoodbrew.org) and have run into something that I'm not sure how to do.

The old site has a section on the home page that is a countdown timer written in PHP and javascript. Most times, it says "Next Darkwood Brew Episode Starts in: ## days, ## hours ##minutes ##seconds" and counts down until the next broadcast. (Sunday evening 5 CST). When it falls within a certain time period on Sunday night, the message changes and a link is shown to go to the viewer for the broadcast.

I'm not sure how to include this on the Home page within Pagelines. I am coming from Headway and they have a generic code block that I could have inserted this in with no problem. I tried to insert the code in a Content box but its not running any PHP code - it all shows up in the source when I view it.

I would appreciate any help with this as its a "must-have" feature for this site.

I'm running Framework 2.3. I tried to attach a text file with the code from the current site but it wouldn't take - I can forward it to anyone if that helps.

Thanks.

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15788 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

Hi,

Well there are a number of ways to do this:

1. Possibly the easiest method would be to use a plugin like this -

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Then add the shortcode generated by plugin, when you view your site the timer will be where you placed the ContentBox section.

There a quite a few Countdown timers on the Wordpress Plugin Repo.

2. Would be to use a hook to insert your code in the correct postion.

3. Would be to create your own section for the countdown timer and then use drag and drop to position it.

#3 rlrigdon

rlrigdon

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Well, thanks for the start. I've checked all of the plugins and only one of them really handles the functionality needed - the pro version of T- Countdown. (This needs to be a recurring type of timer - i.e. use the next Sunday as the ending date and not a definite cutoff date like 10/21/12.) Still, the free version of the plugin does some strange things to the Pagelines dashboard and meta boxes when its loaded so I'm hesitant to spend the money if it ends up breaking something. All the other timers I loaded need a definite ending date entered.

I started watching the videos on creating a section and that looks like a possibility so I think I'm going to try that route by using a jquery-based countdown plugin since its similar to what's in the example. Please leave this open as I'm sure I will have some questions. Thanks again..

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:07 AM

We'll leave this thread open for you. Keep us posted

#5 rlrigdon

rlrigdon

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

You can go ahead and close this - got it figured out pretty easily.

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15788 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

The topic was marked as resolved.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Resolved, timer php site conversion