Photo
- - - - -
Resolved

Trying to get my head around it

sections templates page templates

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 coolpillows

coolpillows

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:48 AM

I am trying to get my head around the whole PageLines framework and not able to get too far. I'm used to coding from scratch HTML/CSS/Javascript or I've delved into PHP with MovableType. I still want to do a lot of customization and coding myself, but i also want to use WP & PL to take care of some of the heavy lifting that a framework provides. I have a really strong suspicion that WP & PL can answer all my prayers. I just need to understand it better.

I've watched the videos on Page Templates and Sections a few times and poked around playing with different layouts and such. But I still struggle trying to understand how to customize my own navbar with its own images. I also can't figure out all the differences between Sections and Templates. But the main thing is assigning the proper sections to a template that does what I want it to do.

With that, I'm going to attach a mockup and try to ask some very simple but dumb newbie questions that will hopefully make it clear for me. The mockup/wireframe shows the navbar I'm after. I have the images cut up, fonts, etc.; you can see I have the logo and the background image and the rest is blank.

Does this make sense to anyone?? Thanks in advance!

Attached Files

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17015 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

Hi,

1. Sections are drag and drop pieces of code that can be moved around your template(s). They're a lot like widgets, only they handle more complex tasks like Javascript, CSS loading, options, etc…

2. If you wish to customise your Navbar, you will need to use custom CSS, especially if you wish to add images.

3. After viewing your Wireframe image, you will need to use or make the following changes via custom code.

Header = Branding section - branding is the only section that contains social icons. However, if you wish to have your Logo/Name and tagline in that style, you will most likely need to use either create a custom section or create a child of the branding section and customise it.

Navigation - Like I mentioned above, you will need to use Custom CSS/HTML to apply images to your navigaiton.

Gradient on either side - Can be applied by using the Content Shadow option in Color Control.

The Posts can be created using your Blog page in Magazine Mode using clips.

The Banners on the right handside can be basic HTML added to a text widget and displayed in your Sidebar.

Like anything there is a learning curve and the best way in my opinion to learn PageLines Framework, is for you to basically have a play with it.

#3 coolpillows

coolpillows

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

Thanks Danny! Will read and explore in more detail, but exciting stuff. Looking forward!

#4 mackenzie

mackenzie

Advocate

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:26 AM

The topic was marked as resolved.