MHC, I figured out how to resolve the issue...
The problem is in the Pagelines template class...it's incorrectly assigning the template for the search results page when custom post types are include in search results. To be fair, this may be the fault of a plugin that is overriding the filters that Pagelines tries to apply, but it's pretty easy to fix if you're comfortable modifying PHP code. It's only one line.
Here's what I did:
1. Open /wp-content/themes/pagelines/includes/class.template.php
2. Look for this code (around line 60 in my case)
3. Update as follows
You're basically forcing the template type to be 'search' if the is_search() is true. This is definitely a workaround, but it solved the problem for me and took 5 minutes to do.