• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 colintsui

colintsui

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hello,

How do I changed the social icon images in the branding section while using child theme? I have uploaded new png files to replace old ones to use for other social networks but when updating the theme today it changed back to the default icons, so how do I implement this using child theme so I dont get overwritten when updating themes next time?

Also, is there a way to add rel="nofollow" to the social icon links and rss links? I believe this is an important SEO issue.

Thanks,
Colin

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

You'll need to make a copy of the folder where you are uploading the icons and add it to the child theme folder then add the icons in there. The nofollow property will need to be added by editing the section PHP file (where the social icons links are located: branding folder > section.php) in the child theme.

#3 colintsui

colintsui

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:20 AM

Hi Catrina,

I copied the entire branding folder to the child theme inside the sections folder but seems like it's still loading from parent theme, the sections.php is also loading from parent theme. Below is the folder structure, the linkedin.png is actually another social site icon. Thanks!

Posted Image

Regards,
Colin

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15194 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:08 AM

If the child section is not working then something is incorrect. Can you provide a full screenshot of your child themes directory so we can take a closer look.

#5 colintsui

colintsui

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:20 AM

Danny,

do you mean the code inside the php files? the above image is the complete screenshot of the child theme directory

Colin

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15194 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:18 AM

OK, I have just created a new test site, installed the Base child theme and then added the Branding section folder to the child themes sections folder. I then made a similar change the Youtube.png name and then added a new file and called this youtube.png.

When I refresh my test site the changes have taken place -

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Therefore, you have not created your child theme correctly, you're as far as I can see missing the setup.php file and a few other less important ones.

#7 colintsui

colintsui

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

i followed the guide on wordpress codex to make the childtheme and it didn't mention setup.php? is it possible to refer to somewhere about the setup.php and other minor ones? or can you email the files you used in your child theme? thanks, colin.

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15194 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

Hi,

There is a free base child theme in the PageLines store, use this one instead of creating on based on the Wordpress guide.

#9 colintsui

colintsui

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

Thanks! I didn't know there's a premade child theme, everything solved!

#10 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15194 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

The topic was marked as resolved.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Resolved, branding, icon, child theme, seo