Photo
- - - - -
Resolved

Vanilla Forums + Wordpress + Pagelines = Nightmare!

vanilla forums

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dsh2000

dsh2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

One of the reasons why I love all three is that they are supposed to be relatively easy to use, but when I combine all 3 together, it has turned into a nightmare.

First of all, is there any definative guide from Pagelines on how to integrate all three?

I have found the doc about vanilla integration and followed the instructions, but something is still not right - the "special" does not show up under the Pagelines menu on my WP dashboard as it should.

Also, I am now getting many 500 internal server errors, and my site has come to a crawl.

Please help! Has anyone had any similar problems?

Thank you,
-Daniel

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:32 AM

Daniel, the Vanilla Integration plugin is available only to those with a Developer's license.

Without the integration, yes, Vanilla + PageLines and WordPress can be a bit messy.

#3 dsh2000

dsh2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

Hi Rob, thank you for the reply.

I do have the developers license, but am having a difficult time with it.

I have followed the documentation, but for some reason the "Special" link is not showing up un the Pagelines menu on my dashboard.

Do you know if this has this gone away with the recent Pagelines updates?

Thank you,
-Daniel

#4 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Vanilla is pretty resource intensive. The 'integration' basically loads wordpress in the background and adds the header and footer into the forum skin, so you are loading vanilla AND wordpress each pageload. So for that reason you need a good server. Forums in general are pretty hefty on resource usage thats why hosting companies hate them.

I would suggest using bbpress, as its native to wordpress it would scale a lot better in your situation, as there are over 250 other domains on your server CPU cycles will be scarce.

#5 dsh2000

dsh2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the good advice. I currently have that domain on a shared hosting account, and that would explain the slowdown.

I have scrapped my plans for using Vanilla, and instead will try to use bbPress like you have suggested.

I may be back for questions on bbPress integration with Pagelines. :ph34r:

Thanks again,
-Daniel

#6 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

The topic was marked as resolved.

#7 dustinfaddis

dustinfaddis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVista, CA
  • Framework Version:2.3

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

Vanilla is pretty resource intensive. The 'integration' basically loads wordpress in the background and adds the header and footer into the forum skin, so you are loading vanilla AND wordpress each pageload. So for that reason you need a good server. Forums in general are pretty hefty on resource usage thats why hosting companies hate them.

I would suggest using bbpress, as its native to wordpress it would scale a lot better in your situation, as there are over 250 other domains on your server CPU cycles will be scarce.

Hey Simon, This issue seems to present a particular confusion as to why PageLines used Vanilla as an "Integration". Perhaps you are not in a position to answer that question, but maybe you can pass it on to the communications & development department. I'm sure many other people who evolved with PageLines into Framework are puzzled.

Vanilla seemed like a great addition, but I was unable to "integrate" a functioning use. You can reference my past posts. I followed the proper instructions, but was unable to obtain success and was left hanging.

Which leaves me right back to where I left off with PlatformPro, using a plugin to integrate a forum.

I'm not desiring a response per se, just want to give some feedback in response to your encouragement to use a "Plugin" rather than an "Integration". Hopefully, future transitions from Framework 2.0 will be able to offer a better out of box solution regarding forum integrations!

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

Dustin, once the topic is closed and resolved, you're very likely not to get an answer. Please open your question in a separate topic to ensure proper reply. Thanks.

#9 dustinfaddis

dustinfaddis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVista, CA

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

Dustin, once the topic is closed and resolved, you're very likely not to get an answer. Please open your question in a separate topic to ensure proper reply. Thanks.

Yes, I am aware of that. However, I was responding directly to Simon. And, if you read my response, you will understand the context of my question and reconsider your need to make similar future "moderator" comments. Thanks.

#10 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15163 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

Hi,

I am unable to answer why PageLines used Vanilla in the first place. However, the integration worked, I tested this myself on several installation both locally and on different hosts. If you had an issue getting Vanilla and PageLines working, then its either down to human error in setting up the integration or your server is configured oddly/poorly.

Regarding your comment about PageLines offering a better solution towards integration of forums in the future. As far as I am concerned that is not our area, we were actually awesome enough to provide a Vanilla integration in the first place. Wordpress offers two forum solutions that I'm aware of that provide full integration, they're bbPress and Simple Press.

If you wish to have integration of XenForo, IPB or vBulletin, you will most likely need to install a script such as aMember which will bridget the users and have a single login method. However, this doesn't include a style matcher, you will need to style your forum to match your Wordpress/PageLines powered website or vice versa.

Also, Rob is correct. Once a Topic has been marked "Resolved", it is highly unlikely that any of our support team or developers will see your response, unless they're personally following the topic. Therefore, if you have any feedback, please post it in our "Ideas and Feedback" forum.

#11 dustinfaddis

dustinfaddis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVista, CA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

I hear you Danny. Thanks for your consideration. It is likely that I completed the integration poorly and incorrectly. However, it's also possible that I experienced other variables beyond my & PageLines control.

It is indeed awesome For PageLines to build the possibility of an integration; however, the ability to easily integrate Vanilla & Framework is not awesome. Hence my frustration. After following detailed steps for creating a Vanilla database and install, I did not find a resolution for the error message I was receiving. This made my integration experience "poor" and "insufficient".

My intention for my feedback is to communicate the difficulty associated with utilizing such potentially awesome integrations. And, the fact that PageLines forum has moved from Vanilla, provides me with the belief that Vanilla integration is not the best possible option for me.

#12 Stephen

Stephen

Advanced Member

• Members

• 49 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles / Orange County California
  • Framework Version:2.3.8

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

I've got DMS Developer and I can't find the Vanilla Forums Plugin. Could someone direct me to its location? 

#13 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15163 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

The Integration plugins are not available with DMS unfortunately.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Resolved, vanilla forums