Photo
- - - - -

How to setup a 'simple' menu showing child pages only if parent page is shown

menu child subnav parent

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 hauserjo

hauserjo

• Members

• 11 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

Hi there

I'm new to pagelines and almost could customize any also very exotic setting for some new websites. But I still have a very basic and simple issue. I want to get a 'simple' navigation like this:

Page A
Page B
Page C

On selecting Page B it should show up as following:

Page A
Page B
- Page B 1
- Page B 2
Page C

This I use very often, and the page hierarchy is already setup that way. But how do I get this kind of menu into my sidebar??? By adding a manual created menu, it is always expanded (meaning I see Page B 1 and Page B 2 even I'm currently focused on Page A, and that I won't have).

Many thanks for any hints. I'm sure there will be a very simple solution I just can't see now.

Regards
Jones

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

You are right. There is a simple solution! Create a Custom Menu using these settings:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 hauserjo

hauserjo

• Members

• 11 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

Hi catrina

Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I'm aware of the setting and they are not working as I expect/want. My custom menu is always displayed as designed, so Page B 1 and Page B 2 are always shown, even on Page A or Page C, where they should be hidden (using PageLines 2.3). I can code the menu by a simple custom function (f.e. in functions.php), but I'm curious if not PageLines Framework can handle this by default, as it is a kind of 'standard' menu behaviour very often used on websites. By the many settings in PageLines I perhaps miss the tick to select for this behavior.
Until now, I did not find any information about hierarchical page menus either in PageLines Doc nor in WordPress Codex. WordPress Forums is linking to a additional Plugin (

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

), perhaps PageLines is also lacking the feature?

Kind regards
Jones

BTW: perhaps important to know, I'm not using the NavBar, the menu should be shown in the primary sidebar.

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17600 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

Hi,

PageLines doesn't provide a Menu widget, therefore you will need to search the Wordpress plugin repo for a sidebar menu widget.