#21 Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

Thanks Catrina.

At the moment the host is saying:

I've checked the headers of your site and the cache is disabled.

The server is configured correctly, I've just added the logo URL and it seems to have worked fine and the settings have stuck.

However, the settings have not stuck. He says he checked a couple of hours after changing the logo and it was still there but it isn't and I can't get it to stick. So I've batted it back to them.

I'll keep updating this thread just in case someone else experiences the same problem and it might save them some time, although it does appear that this is a problem that's unique to me. Lucky me!

#22 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

The settings do 'stick' problem is they will NOT save properly when that js spinner is spinning, that indicates a failure to load core javascript, why? who knows the js is there i gave you a link to it. Its deffo a config error, what exactly does their cache do? Is it a reverse proxy?

#23 Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

The settings do 'stick' problem is they will NOT save properly when that js spinner is spinning, that indicates a failure to load core javascript, why? who knows the js is there i gave you a link to it. Its deffo a config error, what exactly does their cache do? Is it a reverse proxy?

Thanks Simon. I just don't understand enough about it to argue it with him. He's now saying:

I'm afraid I can't see anything else that'd be causing this. If it is a Litespeed issue, which is unlikely, the only way around it would be to use a VPS.

I'll try sending him back what you've said but will have to report back to you here as probably won't understand his answer.

Thanks for your patience with this.

#24 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

The only way round it is to use a VPS? Sure Litespeed has a 1.5% usage share in the hosting field, so basically 98.5% of all hosts will not have this issue. You dont need a VPS you just need a host that knows how to configure the server.

Is this a comercial host? Or some local company?

#25 Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

It's EZPZ Hosting. I've used them for about 4 years with few problems until now.

#26 Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

I think he'll say that because I've disabled the cache that it can't be them. I think that's what they said before.

#27 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

Well im not sure what package your on, but $1.75 a month, you are getting the full extent of their support lol, and thats why they use caching.

#28 Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

Yes, they must be loving me today!

#29 Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

Latest from them:

It's not a reverse proxy and the cache is disabled.

This is certainly a problem with the script however I'm not able to replicate the javascript issue they're getting.

#30 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

I'd strongly suggest you invest in changing hosts to a shared VPS or better, a dedicated server, based on the volume of your site and its traffic.

Inexpensive hosts are usually resellers who have a VPS account of their own and place hundreds of small sites on them. They pay $50 a month, charge you $1.75 and everyone else, profiting a hundred or two a month. Unfortunately, their tech support skills are invariably limited (at best) and when clients have problems, there's no real answer but to upgrade.

WPEngine.com and BlueHost have WordPress focused hosting plans, but again, I suggest getting better than the least expensive version.

#31 Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

I'd strongly suggest you invest in changing hosts to a shared VPS or better, a dedicated server, based on the volume of your site and its traffic.

Inexpensive hosts are usually resellers who have a VPS account of their own and place hundreds of small sites on them. They pay $50 a month, charge you $1.75 and everyone else, profiting a hundred or two a month. Unfortunately, their tech support skills are invariably limited (at best) and when clients have problems, there's no real answer but to upgrade.

WPEngine.com and BlueHost have WordPress focused hosting plans, but again, I suggest getting better than the least expensive version.

Thanks Rob. I've put the new site on WPEngine.com. When I've got time I'll try moving my problem site to WPEngine.com to see if the same problem happens there. I'm desperate to do this just to prove to myself that hosting is indeed the problem but I have a big deadline for tomorrow so no time to spend on it now.

#32 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15680 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

Hi Elizabeth,

I will be very surprised if you have the same issue on your WP Engine hosting site when you move but keep us posted.

#33 Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hi Danny,

Prepare to be surprised. I've moved it to WP Engine and I still have the same problem. Happy to PM you the link and log in details.

#34 Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

Bumping this in case it has somehow been missed. I would really like some sort of resolution to this problem as I am not feeling at all confident using Pagelines at the moment. I need to know where the problem lies. It appears that hosting isn't the issue. Is it something that I've done? I need to know where things have gone wrong with this site so that it doesn't happen again.

#35 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

Well feel free to PM me your login details, we have many wp engine users and nobody has ever mentioned this before.

#36 Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

Hi Danny,

Sorry it's taken ages to get back to you. Have been very busy. Anyway, I'll pm you the login details now.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

#37 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

Elizabeth, were you sending the credentials to Danny or Simon (who was the last to ask for them)?

#38 Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

Sorry, I said Danny but I meant Simon. Simon's PM'd me so I know he's received them. Sorry to confuse things.

#39 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

No worries. I just wanted to make sure the right person was receiving the message.

#40 Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:09 PM

Just in case anyone is following this, I thought I'd update.

Simon has been looking into the problem and has been very helpful but couldn't replicate what was happening and suggested I refer it to WP Engine who are now hosting the site.

WP Engine has replied saying:

Well, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding why it keeps wiping it out myself! I've even attempted it on the staging area which is 100% free of all caching.

I've confirmed that the issue is as soon as the home page is loaded though. The option does submit and get recorded through the admin backend (on the site options page), and you can navigate through the admin area before coming back to it and it will remain. As soon as you navigate to a page, it is removed from the settings (which you already know)! The REALLY weird thing, is that it does this regardless if the visitor is logged in as an admin or not... It's removed immediately after the page loads!

After going through the thread you linked with their support, I can confirm it's not an issue with caching or server or host etc... for some reason, after it's being applied (and it is being applied - option saved and all), a page visit is actively removing the option holding that info. No clue why or where specifically in the code it's happening as I'm not personally familiar with the theme framework. I checked the header.php in the parent theme, and it references some hooks... so perhaps that's a good place to begin looking?

The last few details I've determined are as follows:
There are no errors in the console when loading or saving the site options page; there are no other plugins active and it still occurs.