Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pagelines settings keep getting wiped

Question

Posted · Report post

I am working on a site and the pagelines settings keep getting cleared. I'm not sure what exactly is triggering it. I've noticed some settings seem to be rest when I click on Save Options when on the Custom CSS/LESS page but today everything got wiped.

I've just spent some time putting each setting back in and checking that everything's still there after saving each page. Everything was fine. Then I dragged NavBar out of the active Heading section and all my settings disappeared.

I'm using the latest version of PageLines Framework. Any ideas?

1 person likes this

47 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Chrome

Posted · Report post

Latest from them:

It's not a reverse proxy and the cache is disabled.

This is certainly a problem with the script however I'm not able to replicate the javascript issue they're getting.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

I went into Live chat in the end yesterday and although the problem isn't happening at the moment I'm still not sure why it happened in the first place. The settings were wiped about 4 times yesterday.

I know it wasn't to do with plugins. I only had one activated, which was the Display Widgets plugin.

I think the problem was to do with my style.less file. Once I'd removed this file the settings weren't wiped. I've gradually reinstated the LESS code and at the moment everything's as it should be but I feel pretty nervous that it will happen again.

Posted · Report post

Hi Elizabeth,

Would it be possible for you to provide your PHPinfo please and also enable PageLines debug please. To enable PageLines debug, go to PageLines > Site Options > Advanced and then scroll until you see the debug option and check the box.

To find your sites PHPinfo follow the instructions here - http://codex.wordpress.org/Finding_Server_Info

Posted · Report post

First, please try deactivating all active plugins and see if the problem with the settings persists.

Posted · Report post

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing the same issue that Elizabeth posted here; the settings of one of my sites (www.odb-tuinaanleg.nl) keep getting lost. I've exported the latest version of the settings and import them every time they are wiped away, but I'd rather have them stay in place of course.

FYI the site is hosted on a dedicated webserver. This is the second website I have created with Pagelines, but we've build and host several websites based on WordPress and have had no trouble before.

I'll be happy to provide you with more details if needed.

Regards, Saskia

Posted · Report post

@Saskia,

We never got to the bottom of this issue, as I fail to see how a LESS CSS error could cause the problems Elizabeth was having. I made several attempts to recreate this issue using bad CSS and not once did my sites settings wipe or revert to default.

Therefore, as this is an old topic with numerous pages. Would it possible for you to create a new topic and provide the following information please:

A link to the site in question with PageLines debug mode enabled (PageLines > Site Options > Advanced)

Disable all non-PageLines plugins.

Provide your PHP info - http://codex.wordpress.org/Finding_Server_Info

Posted · Report post

Bumping this in case it has somehow been missed. I would really like some sort of resolution to this problem as I am not feeling at all confident using Pagelines at the moment. I need to know where the problem lies. It appears that hosting isn't the issue. Is it something that I've done? I need to know where things have gone wrong with this site so that it doesn't happen again.

Posted · Report post

I'd strongly suggest you invest in changing hosts to a shared VPS or better, a dedicated server, based on the volume of your site and its traffic.

Inexpensive hosts are usually resellers who have a VPS account of their own and place hundreds of small sites on them. They pay $50 a month, charge you $1.75 and everyone else, profiting a hundred or two a month. Unfortunately, their tech support skills are invariably limited (at best) and when clients have problems, there's no real answer but to upgrade.

WPEngine.com and BlueHost have WordPress focused hosting plans, but again, I suggest getting better than the least expensive version.

Posted · Report post

Well feel free to PM me your login details, we have many wp engine users and nobody has ever mentioned this before.

Posted · Report post

Elizabeth, were you sending the credentials to Danny or Simon (who was the last to ask for them)?

Posted · Report post

Sorry, I said Danny but I meant Simon. Simon's PM'd me so I know he's received them. Sorry to confuse things.

Posted · Report post

Can anyone help with this? I can't work on the site at all. All the Pagelines settings are empty. If I put in a setting, such as the logo, and then view the site the logo is there. If I move to another page, refresh the screen or go back to the settings the logo disappears and nothing's in the settings.

Posted · Report post

No worries. I just wanted to make sure the right person was receiving the message.

Posted · Report post

Just in case anyone is following this, I thought I'd update.

Simon has been looking into the problem and has been very helpful but couldn't replicate what was happening and suggested I refer it to WP Engine who are now hosting the site.

WP Engine has replied saying:

Well, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding why it keeps wiping it out myself! I've even attempted it on the staging area which is 100% free of all caching.

I've confirmed that the issue is as soon as the home page is loaded though. The option does submit and get recorded through the admin backend (on the site options page), and you can navigate through the admin area before coming back to it and it will remain. As soon as you navigate to a page, it is removed from the settings (which you already know)! The REALLY weird thing, is that it does this regardless if the visitor is logged in as an admin or not... It's removed immediately after the page loads!

After going through the thread you linked with their support, I can confirm it's not an issue with caching or server or host etc... for some reason, after it's being applied (and it is being applied - option saved and all), a page visit is actively removing the option holding that info. No clue why or where specifically in the code it's happening as I'm not personally familiar with the theme framework. I checked the header.php in the parent theme, and it references some hooks... so perhaps that's a good place to begin looking?

The last few details I've determined are as follows:

There are no errors in the console when loading or saving the site options page; there are no other plugins active and it still occurs.

Posted · Report post

Another update. Simon's just discovered that disabling my child theme makes everything work. This is good as it's clearly something I've done. Will update once I've figured out where I've gone wrong.

Posted · Report post

Just looked in the error log file and these errors feature alot:

[03-Oct-2012 12:43:57] PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/scolog/public_html/wp-content/themes/pagelines/includes/class.render.css.php on line 706

[04-Oct-2012 15:36:48] PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/scolog/public_html/wp-content/themes/pagelines/includes/class.render.css.php on line 731

Posted · Report post

If that's the case, clearly there's something corrupted in the child theme. That could be a cloned section, bad hook or bad CSS. May I suggest validating the code you've added through one of the various validators online? There are CSS and HTML validators that are free and can read your pasted code.

Posted · Report post

As I can't find any way to resolve the problems I've been having I've decided to start all over again.

I've:

• registered a domain name so I'm not working on a temporary URL.
  • installed Wordpress
  • installed Pagelines Framework 2.3.2
  • disabled the server's cache in the .htaccess file
  • activated the plugins: ActionMap, Bootstrap Icons, Browser Specific CSS, Googlefonts
  • downloaded the base child theme and activated

I'm just about to create the pages and thought I'd check the error log at this stage and this error gets added to the log every time I change the Pagelines settings:

[05-Oct-2012 09:34:45] PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/logscob/public_html/wp-content/themes/pagelines/includes/class.render.css.php on line 731

Posted · Report post

I'd strongly suggest you invest in changing hosts to a shared VPS or better, a dedicated server, based on the volume of your site and its traffic.

Inexpensive hosts are usually resellers who have a VPS account of their own and place hundreds of small sites on them. They pay $50 a month, charge you $1.75 and everyone else, profiting a hundred or two a month. Unfortunately, their tech support skills are invariably limited (at best) and when clients have problems, there's no real answer but to upgrade.

WPEngine.com and BlueHost have WordPress focused hosting plans, but again, I suggest getting better than the least expensive version.

Thanks Rob. I've put the new site on WPEngine.com. When I've got time I'll try moving my problem site to WPEngine.com to see if the same problem happens there. I'm desperate to do this just to prove to myself that hosting is indeed the problem but I have a big deadline for tomorrow so no time to spend on it now.

Posted · Report post

Again, to keep this thread up-to-date, this error went away after activating Sections in the Pagelines store:

[05-Oct-2012 09:34:45] PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/logscob/public_html/wp-content/themes/pagelines/includes/class.render.css.php on line 731

Installing this makes no difference to the site where the settings are getting wiped though.

Posted · Report post

Hi Elizabeth,

I will be very surprised if you have the same issue on your WP Engine hosting site when you move but keep us posted.