Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pagelines settings keep getting wiped

Question

Posted · Report post

I am working on a site and the pagelines settings keep getting cleared. I'm not sure what exactly is triggering it. I've noticed some settings seem to be rest when I click on Save Options when on the Custom CSS/LESS page but today everything got wiped.

I've just spent some time putting each setting back in and checking that everything's still there after saving each page. Everything was fine. Then I dragged NavBar out of the active Heading section and all my settings disappeared.

I'm using the latest version of PageLines Framework. Any ideas?

1 person likes this

47 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Guess the only thing left is to let us log in and see this in action you can send me a PM here with the details.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Simon. I've PM'd you.

Posted · Report post

OK i took a quick look, seems there is an intermittent problem with your webserver serving scripts, no idea why, could be a caching issue, I really have no idea how litespeed work as its a commercial product and not widely used.

Here is a screenshot of the js error, and this happens on the fronend too, it isnt just the admin area. http://screencast.com/t/my9jQbRReGr and here is a link to the script that is not loading, as you can see it loads fine lol.

So yea, go back to your host and ask them what gives, are they a big company? Looks like they have a misconfigured server or reverse proxy.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

That's great, thank you so much for looking into it for me. I've raised it with them and hope it can be sorted out.

Posted · Report post

I will leave this topic open in case there is an update.

Posted · Report post

I don't have any cloned sections. When I remove everything from my functions.php file, the problem is still there. However, if I remove the style.less file it sorts everything out. When I look back through this thread I had identified this early on but got distracted away from this with all the talk about it being a hosting problem.

I remember asking someone to check through my style.less file for me at one point (I think in Live Chat) and they said there was no problem with it. I know there are CSS and HTML validators but what about LESS?

Anyway, digging further into this problem I have discovered that:

If I have only this:

h2 {

font-family: @plBaseFont;

}

in my LESS file, and I save the Pagelines settings and go to my site, everything looks fine. However, the moment I navigate to another page an orange 'LESS Compile error!' shows up. If I click on that it says "Pagelines Core LESS/CSS error pass error: failed at '"

My Pagelines settings, however, are still there at this stage.

I've never seen this error before so I guess some sort of debugging has been swtiched on.

If I add this to the top of my LESS FILE:

@dark-blue: #023867;

and then save my Pagelines settings and return to the site, initially everything looks fine but this time when I navigate to another page my settings disappear but I don't get the orange 'LESS Compile error!'

If my LESS file has the following in it:

h2 {

}

and I then save my Pagelines settings and then return to the site, initially everything looks fine but when I navigate to another page I get the orange 'LESS Compile error!' but my settings remain in place.

Any ideas?

Posted · Report post

First try updating to the latest version, currently 2.3.2

Your server is 'Lltespeed', we have no experience with this im afraid. Could be your host is caching the database. Have you contacted them about the issue?

The only way the framework can 'wipe' the settings is if you click the reset button and then click the OK to confirm.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Simon. I've been talking to Danny about it in Live Chat and he said the same, so I've just raised a support ticket with my host. I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks for the support.

Posted · Report post

When you asked in Live chat, you spoke to me, I informed you that I gave your code a quick glance and couldn't see any error. However, if I remember correctly, I informed you to review your CSS for any errors which I may have missed, as LESS CSS is less forgiving than standard CSS.

Are you saying that you only have the following code to your style.less and this is causing a Parse Error ?

h2 {

}

Posted · Report post

Might be this @dark-blue: #023867; as dark-blue isnt used anywhere anyway

Posted · Report post

Just to keep this thread up-to-date, my host said:

There is a Litespeed cache active which might cause the problem.

You can disable the cache by adding the following to your .htaccess file however it would only be picked up when using the full domain and not on the temporary URL:

CacheDisable

I can't update as to whether this has worked or not because I'm using a temporary URL.

Posted · Report post

When you asked in Live chat, you spoke to me, I informed you that I gave your code a quick glance and couldn't see any error. However, if I remember correctly, I informed you to review your CSS for any errors which I may have missed, as LESS CSS is less forgiving than standard CSS.

Are you saying that you only have the following code to your style.less and this is causing a Parse Error ?

h2 {

}

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny,

Sorry it's taken ages to get back to you. Have been very busy. Anyway, I'll pm you the login details now.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Posted · Report post

Thanks Catrina.

At the moment the host is saying:

I've checked the headers of your site and the cache is disabled.

The server is configured correctly, I've just added the logo URL and it seems to have worked fine and the settings have stuck.

However, the settings have not stuck. He says he checked a couple of hours after changing the logo and it was still there but it isn't and I can't get it to stick. So I've batted it back to them.

I'll keep updating this thread just in case someone else experiences the same problem and it might save them some time, although it does appear that this is a problem that's unique to me. Lucky me!

Posted · Report post

The settings do 'stick' problem is they will NOT save properly when that js spinner is spinning, that indicates a failure to load core javascript, why? who knows the js is there i gave you a link to it. Its deffo a config error, what exactly does their cache do? Is it a reverse proxy?

Posted · Report post

The settings do 'stick' problem is they will NOT save properly when that js spinner is spinning, that indicates a failure to load core javascript, why? who knows the js is there i gave you a link to it. Its deffo a config error, what exactly does their cache do? Is it a reverse proxy?

Thanks Simon. I just don't understand enough about it to argue it with him. He's now saying:

I'm afraid I can't see anything else that'd be causing this. If it is a Litespeed issue, which is unlikely, the only way around it would be to use a VPS.

I'll try sending him back what you've said but will have to report back to you here as probably won't understand his answer.

Thanks for your patience with this.

Posted · Report post

The only way round it is to use a VPS? Sure Litespeed has a 1.5% usage share in the hosting field, so basically 98.5% of all hosts will not have this issue. You dont need a VPS you just need a host that knows how to configure the server.

Is this a comercial host? Or some local company?

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny,

Prepare to be surprised. I've moved it to WP Engine and I still have the same problem. Happy to PM you the link and log in details.

Posted · Report post

It's EZPZ Hosting. I've used them for about 4 years with few problems until now.

Posted · Report post

I think he'll say that because I've disabled the cache that it can't be them. I think that's what they said before.

Posted · Report post

Well im not sure what package your on, but $1.75 a month, you are getting the full extent of their support lol, and thats why they use caching.

Posted · Report post

Yes, they must be loving me today!

Posted · Report post

Well, I bought a domain name for the site and changed the .htaccess file to disable the cache and it's made no difference at all. The host says: "If the cache has been disabled there isn't really anything else server-side that'd cause this"

Where do I go from here?

Posted · Report post

What browser are you using?