8 replies to this topic

#1 outtareach

outtareach

• Members

• 221 posts
  • LocationNY
  • Framework Version:Version 3.4.2

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:41 AM

My client wants me to make the header link in two places. So I need to add two divs in the header.What would be the best place to edit this? I see header.php but not sure if I need to put the in there or in another file. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16392 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:25 AM

Hi,

You shouldn't make any changes to header.php or any core files as odd things will most likely happen. If you wish to add another link to your header, you will most likely want to use a hook. I recommend you install the Action Map plugin from the store, find the correct hook location and then add your code to the functions.php file.

#3 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 223 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI
  • Framework Version:latest stable & beta releases

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

It's also worth mentioning that you can customize core sections like the branding section (if that's what you're using in the header) by copying the specific section's folder from the Pagelines sections folder into your child theme's "sections" folder (just create one if there isn't a folder there yet). From there you are free to customize the section however you'd like without being at risk of losing your customizations next time the framework is updated. Kind of like child themes for sections. If you decide to go this route, I would recommed you disable the core's version of the section from under Pagelines > Store > Sections > Core Framework to prevent any possible conficts.

Depending on where you need to add the extra link, a hook may be a much quicker and easier solution, but I just thought I'd mention another way :)
  • batman, outtareach and Erwan like this

#4 outtareach

outtareach

• Members

• 221 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

thanks for the helpful solution. Basically I have to take the header and make it link to two different areas. The logo linking to the homepage and the other half linking to a section of the site. So I guess I need to break the image in two and add the links but which way do you think would be an easier solution?

#5 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

Breaking the image into two and adding links would be the best. You can't make one image link to two places unless you used an image map, which wouldn't be the easiest solution.

#6 outtareach

outtareach

• Members

• 221 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

Thanks but yeah I understood that part but was talking about the two solutions offered and which would offer best solution for adding both links.

#7 outtareach

outtareach

• Members

• 221 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

It's also worth mentioning that you can customize core sections like the branding section (if that's what you're using in the header) by copying the specific section's folder from the Pagelines sections folder into your child theme's "sections" folder (just create one if there isn't a folder there yet). From there you are free to customize the section however you'd like without being at risk of losing your customizations next time the framework is updated. Kind of like child themes for sections. If you decide to go this route, I would recommed you disable the core's version of the section from under Pagelines > Store > Sections > Core Framework to prevent any possible conficts.

Depending on where you need to add the extra link, a hook may be a much quicker and easier solution, but I just thought I'd mention another way :)

I did this and it now functions perfectly. This was cool because it was my first time really customizing something and it wasnt hard at all. If I wanted to go simply with a hook where would this be initiated?

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:29 AM

Into a functions.php located either in the child theme or in pagelines-customize/functions.php.

#9 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:29 AM

The topic was marked as resolved.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Resolved, header, image