Photo
- - - - -
Resolved

Pagelines - Bad Documentation

documentation wiki problems scroll spy

Best Answer Danny , 12 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

Hi,

You can find our documentation here - http://support.pagelines.me/docs/

I am still in the process of adding the images and adding new articles to help everyone, but these are an improvement on the previous docs. If you have any feedback, please let me know, any feedback is most welcome.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 josh1178

josh1178

• Members

• 181 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:33 PM

I've been away from Pagelines for a while now. I came back and was very impressed with all the new features and the new web design.

But then, as I dig around further I notice that things are still a mess.

For example:
Scroll Spy - I'd like to know what it is and how to use it.

I go to:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

to get a feel for what it is
The description mentions unicorns and spies in an effort to be cute
While cute, it's not helpful and quickly becomes frustrating when you read the 'explanation'

Explanation

.scroll-header is the class that triggers the scrolling. The class can be added to any element, and is not restricted to headings.

Ok great. But what the heck is Scroll Spy?

Let's look it up in the pagelines documentation:

So, I go to:

I click on How to Use ScrollSpy:

In PageLines Framework 2.2, we have added a new

called ScrollSpy. The ScrollSpy section adds an additional navigation bar that automatically updates nav targets based on scroll position. It is also useful for jumping from one section of your page to another instantly.

Great, a practical definition!

Let's look at the images. Wait, why do all the images say "

Placeholder image for ScrollSpy Content sreenshots"

Wait, scroll down a bit and there is Latin!

Integer pharetra, tortor nec volutpat accumsan, ligula enim consectetur erat, porta imperdiet felis orci eget purus. Phasellus non auctor magna. Vestibulum at augue sit amet quam scelerisque rutrum. Aliquam erat volutpat. Cras lectus dolor, tincidunt laoreet molestie ac, vehicula sed ante.

So, I hunt around for more info on the page and find these this:

ScrollSpy works within your Page's editor, as long as ScrollSpy is enabled on the template your page is using. For a more in depth look and tutorial on how to get ScrollSpy working on your page, please visit the new

But that link goes here!

http://www.iana.org/domains/example/

WTF

I find some more links that say:

In order to get ScrollSpy working on your page, it needs to be enabled in the Drag and Drop menu, and in the

area.

More info on template setup

I click that and it takes me to a page that says:

Redirect page

Posted Image

WTF

You guys really need to get it together. I just wanted a picture and definition of what the ScrollSpy section does. Next time I'll google it or just post to the forum or try to figure it out on my own, because the documentation/wiki is an obvious afterthought. Or maybe I'm supposed to buy Pagelines plus to deal with the headache?

The attribute title="Usage" is used as the actual label that sits inside the menu.

#2 josh1178

josh1178

• Members

• 181 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:30 PM

So, I figured out Scroll Spy and in the end it was quite simple. Shame it took ages to decipher what could have been simple instructions that looked something like this:

Scroll Spy use the grey navigation menu on this very page to see Scroll Spy in action!
Basics: Scroll Spy allows you to make a menu that sticks to the top of the page when you scroll.

To use: Activate the Scroll Spy section in your template setup to determine where on your page the menu sits in relation to other sections. Then just add the following code on your page.
  • <h4 class="scroll-header" title="Boxes"></h4>
  • <p>Box section description</p>
  • <h4 class="scroll-header" title="Banners"></h4>
  • <p>Banner section description</p>

• <h4 class="scroll-header" title="Masthead"></h4>
  • <p>Banner section description</p>

Notice that the text you use as the 'title' automatically becomes an entry in the navigation menu in the Scroll Spy section.

Explanation

.scroll-header is the class that triggers the scrolling. The class can be added to any element, and is not restricted to headings.

The attribute title="Usage" is used as the actual label that sits inside the menu.

Add a Styled Heading

If you want to make styled headings, like the ones used throughout this page, wrap the markup in a div like in the example.

Explanation

.page-header is the class that makes the heading and subheading look great.

#3 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17653 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

Hi Josh,

We are currently in the process of updating the documentation for you guys (I'm the one doing it) and if you can provide me with any feedback, that would be awesome. Please send me a PM on the forums with anything you think should be added, improved upon etc...

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17653 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

The topic was marked as resolved.

#5 fotoramonzi

fotoramonzi

• Members

• 13 posts
  • Framework Version:2.4.1

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

Ninja, you claimed almost a year ago that the documentation was being updated. I bought Pagelines a little less than a year ago and I have to say that the documentation is horrible. It's unfinished, confusing and seems to be written solely for developers and not designers. Another good example would be the bootstrap implementation. Why not just include the entire menu? Specifically, why the hell didn't you guys add the bootstrap affix plugin? I didn't pay 2 bones to be this fucking frustrated.

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17653 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:47 AM   Best Answer

Hi,

You can find our documentation here -

I am still in the process of adding the images and adding new articles to help everyone, but these are an improvement on the previous docs. If you have any feedback, please let me know, any feedback is most welcome.

#7 fotoramonzi

fotoramonzi

• Members

• 13 posts
  • Framework Version:2.4.1

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for the link Danny. Can't believe I haven't seen this yet, considering that the link is on the main pagelines page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Resolved, documentation, wiki, problems, scroll spy