Photo
- - - - -

2.3 Release notes.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

Today we launched the new version of PageLines, version. 2.3.

In it you’ll find some very cool new features. That we’ll go through below. They include:
  • New Code Editors and Syntax Highlighting
  • New Icon Font
  • Forms and Inputs Library
  • Image Uploader: “Select from Media Library”
  • Other new stuff: 3rd-tier drop-downs, progress bars, pagination/pagers
  • Enhancements: All CSS moved to 100% {LESS} which increases performance, various bug-fixes and improvements to sections.
2.3 Video Overview

New Code Editors and Syntax Highlighting
Version 2.3 introduces new custom code editors inside of the WordPress/PageLines admin.
These new editors make it fun and easy to add custom CSS to the framework. They ‘colorize’ syntax for LESS and HTMl; and work amazingly well.

Posted Image

PageLines Icon Font Based on FontAwesome
Posted Image

Another radical new feature is a special Icon Font built right into core. Icon fonts are the latest thing in responsive/retina web design and they are super fun to use.
Why are icon fonts cool? Well, they are icons that work just like text! That means you can give them drop shadows, scale them, change their color all with CSS and without degradation.
The icon font is based on FontAwesome and we think you’ll love it..

New Forms & Inputs With Gravity Forms support

Consistency in forms has always been a small problem across frameworks. Every plugin has their own approach. Well in this release we’ve added a standard presentation for forms that can be customized by themers and should be universal across plugins.
Here is an example of the new forms…
Posted Image
Image Uploader: “Select Media from Library”

Posted Image

Consistency in forms has always been a small problem across frameworks. Every plugin has their own approach. Well in this release we’ve added a standard presentation for forms that can be customized by themers and should be universal across plugins.

Other Rad Stuff

Finally, we’ve added a lot of tweaks in the framework. For example, we’ve optimized the framework to100% LESS, meaning there the graphical CSS is faster and more concise than ever.
We’ve also added a bunch of new interaction elements.. Here are a couple notable ones..
Posted Image

#2 wren

wren

Advanced Member

• Members

• 67 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:37 AM

Oh I dreaded this day when PL would have an upgrade...so I've done a lot of customizing in varying places as I've bumbled my way into the framework as a beginner. In years past, every time I did an upgrade, I would lose my settings in some places. I know one place where data was lost in the past was my inputs into the footer. Wish this stuff wasn't so piecemeal...

I know I should have created a child theme but that didn't work out so well for me when I was a total newbie. Now here's the upgrade and I have no child theme, worried that will be a pain to implement (as it was when I didn't know anything). I have done some editing from within the Wordpress admin menu areas, edited some plug-ins and added code to CSS Custom in the Pagelines settings array. I don't use Firebug because Firefox drags my processor to it's knees when I'm also running Photoshop, etc...

So what's the procedure at this stage in the game, so I don't lose bits and pieces of my customizing with the upgrade? Hope there's an easy way through this.

Thanks for the help!

#3 skyrocket

skyrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

Yea, I also think I'm doing something wrong. Every time i upgrade to a new version my sites' CSS get slayed.

#4 skyrocket

skyrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

PS: If the child theme strategy is a way to prevent update problems, perhaps you could point me at a link on how to implement a child theme? That would be very nice.

#5 Martin Bay

Martin Bay

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

Skyrocket! Have a look here: http://www.pagelines..._the_Base_Theme

If you need more help try and have a look in the forum.

Look forward to try the 2.3 my self :)

#6 xavaireland

xavaireland

Advanced Member

• Members

• 65 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

Child Theming is the way to go - I have been able to create custom sections. Once you download the base theme, just install it using the PL sections area in the store and away you go. Place any CSS customisations in the style.css in the child theme folder. Edit sections code and save them under the child theme - AWESOMENESS Guaranteed:)

#7 tslsites

tslsites

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

These are great changes! ... Thanks a lot.

Just recently I was wondering how to integrate Font Awesome and not I don't have to worrie about that either!

BTW, I like this comment editor as well
Thanks!

#8 gftservices

gftservices

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:21 AM

Are we missing the core frameowork's style.css code? As in there are NO css rules in there at all??????

Trying to get a simple layout of a brand new site... and can not get this version to work at all.

#9 xavaireland

xavaireland

Advanced Member

• Members

• 65 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

Simon - I have not upgraded yet but I do have a child theme with all my customisations in there - can I go ahead and safely upgrade?

#10 ethicalliteracy

ethicalliteracy

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

I have upgraded to 2.3 and I am wondering is anyone else having issues that their site is now not loading properly in IE? Everything looks as it should in Chrome, Safari, and Firefox but IE is a visual disaster.

NOT SURE HOW TO DELETE MY POST: Somehow my add-ons were disabled - everything is fine in IE, just ignore my question please.

#11 mutonline

mutonline

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

For me it isn't possible to update on my local machine. Is it possible to download the update somewhere, so I can install it manually? Thx.

#12 skyrocket

skyrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

@martinbay: thanks for the link! i'm already using the customize plugin, but still have problems every time i upgrade. i wasn't very precise. it's not just the CSS, it's also stuff like widget positions that get messed up. it seems that pagelines changes CSS class names with every update. with this update the h3 tags in the feature area got new classes... among others.

#13 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

There is no H3 in the feature slider, and the widgets were hard coded since version 2.2

#14 mutonline

mutonline

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

Asking again. Is it possible to download the upgrade to install it manually?

#15 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

Asking again. Is it possible to download the upgrade to install it manually?

http://www.pagelines.com/launchpad/member.php

#16 mutonline

mutonline

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

Ha! So simple. Thanks Simon. :)

#17 jfitch

jfitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

I DO use a childtheme, and yet every upgrade my css gets wiped and the side bars all get moved around. EACH UPGRADE WASTES ME A LOT OF TIME!
Guys, please PLEASE! Before adding new features, fix the upgrade process so it doesn't stuff the site up each time.

#18 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16987 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

Hi,

I am not sure how your CSS gets wiped, its impossible for an upgrade to the parent theme (PageLines Framework) to wipe your child themes CSS. I have updated 20 test websites and not once have I had any CSS being wiped or Sidebars/Widgets being removed.

#19 jfitch

jfitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:19 AM

Hi,

I am not sure how your CSS gets wiped, its impossible for an upgrade to the parent theme (PageLines Framework) to wipe your child themes CSS. I have updated 20 test websites and not once have I had any CSS being wiped or Sidebars/Widgets being removed.

I may be using the wrong wording (i.e. wiped) - but all I can tell you is that my css is totally different now that the upgrade has happened. my page was centered, now it is aligned left. Sidebars appear under posts instead of next to them... links have the worng css.... each time this happens. very annoying.

Any suggestions on how to fix (as opposed to silly statements that what is happening couldn't be happening) would be greatly appreciated.

#20 jfitch

jfitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:49 AM

I may be using the wrong wording (i.e. wiped) - but all I can tell you is that my css is totally different now that the upgrade has happened. my page was centered, now it is aligned left. Sidebars appear under posts instead of next to them... links have the worng css.... each time this happens. very annoying.

Any suggestions on how to fix (as opposed to silly statements that what is happening couldn't be happening) would be greatly appreciated.

Ha ha! Am happy! Update 2.3.1 has fixed this for me.