Photo
- - - - -

Any adjustments available to Image Carousel shortcode?

image carousel shortcode

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 mindfulbaby

mindfulbaby

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:39 AM

I think the answer is no, but wanted to see if there are any adjustments I can make (as a non-programmer!) to the Image Carousel I am using based on the shortcodes page (

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

). This is a really handy carousel for me, and a big help!

Mostly I am curious if it is possible to adjust 2 items:
- the height of the black bar with the caption text/subtext (I'm using smaller images, 400x400, so it would be great to make smaller)
- the speed the carousel progresses through the images

I haven't seen any notation on being able to modify, but wanted to make sure before I check it off my list and don't keep wondering if it is possible.

Great shortcode! So much on that page that is super helpful.

BTW, if I should be posting questions like this under "Customizations" instead please let me know. I wasn't quite sure where to post it. Thank you-

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:03 AM

The height is set to 'auto', so whatever the height of your slide image is what the slider height will be. I think the width should be the same, but not sure about that. Are you seeing different results? Can you snapshot what you see?

#3 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:11 AM

Try this:

Adjust the numbers to your desire.

Add that to Custom Code > CSS Rules.
It might work.

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:19 AM

Try this in Custom Code > CSS rules.

#5 mindfulbaby

mindfulbaby

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:32 AM

Thanks! That does let me change the caption box size.
Do you happen to know if it is possible to change the slider speed as well?

One follow-up on the caption box:

When I delete the Title and then also the caption text for a particular slide in the slider, the result is the dark caption area at the bottom of the slide disappears (great, just as I would expect).
However, the Grid that I have set up (I am using a "span 4" and "span 8") effectively breaks and the text that should appear to the right of the slider then appears below. Is this a simple code issue I am missing related to the slider or grid? I am assuming that simply removing a title and caption text shouldn't impact a grid layout, correct?
Example:

is where broken
Still works on

, where I have text for the title and caption text for all slides.

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17636 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

Hi,

Can you provide a concept image of what you're trying to achieve and also add the code you have used to our paste service please.

Then provide a link to your paste when you reply.

#7 mindfulbaby

mindfulbaby

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

Sure.
The page that is working (and what I am trying to make it look like is here):

But simply without the black caption at the bottom.
So I'm trying to figure out where I am going wrong with simply removing the Title and caption text from the shortcode slider, which then throws the text right of the image to suddenly below it. I'm guessing it is either something super simple I can do, or not possible with Pro help!

Longer term the "ideal" concept would be something like this:

But I figured I would save the question whether that was even doable for another post so as not to confuse - I'm getting as close as I think I can on my own, but I wasn't sure if there is something that could combine a carousel with image above, while still keeping the ability to have text with tabs on the right (as I have learned to do with the Grid system).

#8 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:04 AM

Hi there, I've taken a look at your second concept image. Have you seen our new 'response gallery'? It produces that type of result and is as easy to work as the shortcodes. Take a look

If not try hiding the captions and black bg using css. Just paste that code into Pagelines>site options>custom css box and hit save :)

#9 mindfulbaby

mindfulbaby

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:52 AM

Wow, that is undoubtedly as close as I would expect to get - I hadn't seen that yet! Thanks for the link.

I'll try using the code to hide the caption/title.
One quick one to wrap up - if I have another carousel on my site, will it remove the captions from that one too? Basically wondering if I can have no captions for one carousel on the site, but if I add another carousel then still have captions for that one.
Thanks again!

#10 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17636 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:02 AM

HI,

You could use the code below, but you will need to check the class is there before hand.