Photo
- - - - -

Pagelines and Child Themes: A Newby Question

child themes

Best Answer Danny , 01 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

Hi, I don't think you will need to disable BuddyPress, the only thing you will need to do is recreate your widgets and custom menus, as these a theme specific. So before you do anything, drag all your widgets into the Inactive Area in Appearance > Widgets, enable the Child theme and then drag them back into position. Lastly, recreate any custom menus you have. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yodarocks

yodarocks

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Framework Version:DMS latest version

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

I've just started my journey with WordPress/BuddyPress/PageLines. I'm trying to escape the death grip of DotNetNuke. ;)

I have a Newby question (no doubt the first of many):

I've read that it's best to work with child themes. Having just installed WordPress/BuddyPress/PageLines, I don't even know if what's installed by default is already a child theme. My Themes admin page shows the current them as PageLines Framework. Do I need to do anything before diving it to make changes, i.e. create a child theme?

If so, could someone point me to some good beginners' resources on child themes, especially in the context of PageLines?

Thanks for your patience with me.

Steve

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

A child theme isn't automatically installed when you get PageLines Framework. We give you the freedom to choose whether you'd like to use one or not. If you'd like to install one, you can access them via PageLines > Store > Themes on your Dashboard (please note that some are free and some are paid).

Here's a reference to child themes on the PageLines Wiki:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 yodarocks

yodarocks

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Framework Version:DMS latest version

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

Following the breadcrumbs you set out for me, I've installed the starter child theme for PageLines. Pardon the newby question, but now that I've installed a "child theme" from the PageLines store, am I correct that any modification I do via PageLines modification functionality will not be effected by updates to the PageLines Framework? (I think that's a correct statement, but I just want to make sure that there isn't something further I need to do before diving in to make changes to look/feel.)

Thanks,
Steve

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

Hi Steve,

Thats correct, as long as your make your changes in the Style.less and the functions.php file within the child theme, then your changes will be protected when you update the main framework.

You can read more about the changes made through child themes here

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#5 gauravonomics

gauravonomics

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

Hi James,

I have a similar newbie question. 

I installed Buddypress sometime back without installing the child theme. If I install the child theme now, would I need to deactivate and reactivate all the Buddypress plugins?

Thank you for your help.

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15848 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:27 PM   Best Answer

Hi, I don't think you will need to disable BuddyPress, the only thing you will need to do is recreate your widgets and custom menus, as these a theme specific. So before you do anything, drag all your widgets into the Inactive Area in Appearance > Widgets, enable the Child theme and then drag them back into position. Lastly, recreate any custom menus you have.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: child themes