Photo
- - - - -
Resolved

Page Template Sidebar Control

sidebars page template advanced templating

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 regalcreative

regalcreative

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

Hey Pageliners,

We're relatively new to the Pagelines platform and gotta say, firstly, that we love it. It's reduced our production time dramatically and is money well spent - so thank you.

Secondly, I personally am trying to wrap my head around the best way to implement many sidebars that are needed variably across many pages for our clients. The keyword here is that it needs to remain easy for management by the client in the future (our clients are not very technically savvy at times, so things like widget logic aren't always the best solution).

Here's our scenario, I hope that you may have some "best practices" or general better insight than I do ;)

- We have 3 different template structures:
  • internal pages (general template)
  • home page (template 1)
  • blog section
We have approximately 5 different types of widgets that should show in different ways based on the page / section.
  • contact cta (all pages except home page)
  • newsletter signup (all pages except home page)
  • upcoming events (blog / home page)
  • latest blog posts (blog / home page)
  • blog categories (blog)
Now, we can manage this well enough (so it seems) using the universal sidebar (contact sidebar & newsletter signup), primary sidebar (latest posts, blog categories, upcoming events). However, without the ability to set sidebar control options (aka - setting universal sidebar in the sidebar for default page template, as compared to loading all of them due to the needs of the blog), we are finding the control of the sidebars on a template basis to be bulky.

Does this make sense?

Basically, to try and be more clear if I haven't already, we are looking for per-template sidebar control options (so you select "default template" and you can click on "page templates" > "sb1" and set the sidebars just for that template). Currently, you can only do that with the "content" area, not the sidebars.

So, do you have any good workarounds and better management options that could be defaulted to within Pagelines? Should we just resort to advanced widget management plugins? Is this something that you or others could see value for having in Pagelines in the future?

IDK, just spitballing here ;)

Cheers!

Kyle

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

We don't currently have the per-template sidebar control that you've described (this would be most ideal because it would be the easiest solution and I think it would have a lot of value). You may need to resort to advanced widget management plugins (the next best thing would be some customizations done in the layout, but that will be too complicated).

#3 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

Catrina's correct.

However, you can go to Dashboard > PageLines > Page Templates > Blog Page (for example) and select the column layout (one, two, etc) and save your settings.

The sidebar content can be determined by Widget Logic plugin

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

That will permit you to apply widgets (sidebar content) to particular places such as categories, pages, etc. so that you can have different sidebar content in different 'templates'.

#4 regalcreative

regalcreative

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

Hey catrina & rob,

Thanks for the follow up, that's what I suspected, but just wanted to confirm.

Unfortunately, Widget Logic isn't easy enough for most of our clients (though it's a great solution) and so we are going to be using other similar plugins...

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to request this as a feature - giving sidebars the ability to be modified on a per-template basis. If it's already been requested, then please mark me down as a vote for it :)

Thanks again!

Cheers

Kyle

#5 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

Hi Kyle,

I've passed your request on to our developer team as per your request :)

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

The topic was marked as resolved.

#7 saasagency

saasagency

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

Hello all - I too have the same request. Each 'page' has children and therefore different topics. Ideally I would like to place different sidebar content on each page. I have not found a plugin to do this, have you "regalcreative"? or Pagelines - can you suggest a plugin that is easier than widget logic? many thanks