Can I put text next to QuickSlider?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mindfulbaby

mindfulbaby

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

I've managed to get QuickSlider set up (seemed easiest, I wanted users to see 2-3 detail pics of a good size on each of my posts), and I am wondering how I can move the post text so it is next to the QuickSlider area - say, just to its right, with the text starting at the top of the page even with the top of the QuickSlider image. I saw one support post that mentioned "floating" an image, but I'm not sure how to do that. The post I am trying to edit:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Also, is there an easy way for me to edit the size of the QuickSlider image(s)? Say force it to be 200px square? Or is this best done by editing the images themselves? Thanks all-

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

Hi, You can't add an element like Quickslide and have text wrap around it. That, unfortunately, isn't the way WordPress works. However, that doesn't mean you cannot accomplish your goal. If you know your content area is 600px wide (example) and want an image of 200px wide as a slider, then you may (untested) be able to use the slider found here, which uses a shortcode you may embed directly into the post. That actually allows you to place it anywhere you would like it. You can wrap the entire shortcode grouping into a unique div, then float the div left or right. The same div may be the same for all future slides. As for the image sizes, you must use a graphics editor, such as Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro to get specific sizes. Note: IE9 doesn't handle image scaling as Firefox or Chrome do so, this is the best practice.

#3 mindfulbaby

mindfulbaby

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

Thanks rangelone. Some questions- When you said "slider" did you mean the same as QuickSlider? or a different slider? And when you said "use the slider found here", did you mean "here" to reference the PageLines site? Thank you regarding the note that I can't adjust the dimensions of the QuickSlider and that changes to the image size can only be made by editing the image size itself and then uploading.

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

Oops, I forgot to give you this link:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I referred to the slider found on that link (meaning here in that link). Apologies for leaving that out.
  • mindfulbaby likes this

#5 mindfulbaby

mindfulbaby

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:43 AM

Thank you again. I've used that slider and it looks good. One quick one...I assuming it is a "basic" slider with no way to modify settings like speed that the slides transition, correct?

I've added some tabs (from taht same page you provided) and now am learn about how to float and using divs or maybe padding to get some separation between the slider and the text. Thanks again.

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:58 AM

Honestly, I've not used it but it seems pretty rudimentary to me, with few, if any options. It may well be that speed and transition are determined via CSS but I truthfully don't know.

#7 mindfulbaby

mindfulbaby

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:03 AM

Thanks. My priority is being able to put the text to the right side of rotating images, and since it sounds like QuickSlider can't do this I'll go with this!
Thank you again-

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13192 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

Hi,

You could try using an alternative Slider which utilises shortcodes and then use the PageLines grid, to position your text and rotating images.
  • mindfulbaby likes this

#9 mindfulbaby

mindfulbaby

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

Fabulous! I've read the Grid tutorial pages and it has really helped. The page is starting to shape up..

#10 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4983 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:06 AM

The topic was marked as resolved.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Resolved