Photo
- - - - -

Magazine Mode: How can I make pagelines use "thumbnail" sized clip images (without CSS scaling)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 skyrocket

skyrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

I just changed my layout to magazine mode. Unlike the full width mode, pagelines calls the full size featured images for the clips and scales them down via CSS. The impact on page load is huge since the frontpage has to load about 50 images with a size of 600x400 px on average. I can't decrease the size of the featured images per se because I'm using them inside my posts. Is there an easy way to add a function to functions.php and make pagelines pick "thumbnail" size clip images (or any other size)? Note: I tried the solution shown in this thread,

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

, but it screwed up some plugins that are using an even smaller thumbnail size. So I need a solution that really is specific to the clip images. Any help would be very much appreciated!

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

Have you seen this reference on setting the post thumbnail size function?:

#3 skyrocket

skyrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:45 AM

Thanks for this. I'm not good at PHP. I'm imagining that targeting clip images specifically is a pagelines customization. Not a general wordpress thing. Do you know how I can do that?

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17618 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

Hi,

OK, firstly you have posted in the incorrect forum, so I have moved your post to the PageLines Framework forum instead of PlatformPro's.

I have visited your website and found that you're using the option "On Top" for clip. The "On Top" has been designed to use the full width image and not the thumbnail.

There was a similar topic a few weeks back and if you add the code below, it should resolve your issue.

#5 skyrocket

skyrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:48 AM

I think you must have been very busy correcting and pointing out my mistake of posting this question to the wrong forum because you obviously haven't read my question. I already mentioned above that the solution you posted just now doesn't work for me. I also explained why it doesn't work.

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17618 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

Which plugins are effected by the code above, so I can test this on my end.

#7 skyrocket

skyrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

I found a solution for this problem that works pretty good. Instead of changing the pagelines source I just did this to achieve the same result:

1) Switched from "image on top" to "image left aligned" in magazine mode
2) Added this CSS code

.clip_box .post-meta a {
width: 100% !important;
}

Works perfectly. Problem solved.

PS: The plugins that interfered were "Wordpress.com Popular Posts" and "Smooth Slider".

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17618 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

OK, thats a cool little CSS snippet, thanks for sharing.