Drop down menu disappearing....I know

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:29 AM

Hello, I've been researching this issue but have not found a solution. I've tried deactivation plugins, I didn't edit core files but I did edit pages and custom css. I see this code in firebug..in my style.css page. .main_nav ul ul { display: none; } Not sure why this would have just changed and I can't seem to fix it. Anyone have any ideas?! Thanks in advance!!! Kelli

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4984 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:27 AM

Hi Kelli I've checked your site and the drop downs seem to be appearing fine. Have you resolved this? Is the code you've provided above inside your custom css? Is so just remove it and re-save. There are options inside the Site Options>Header and Footer tab which control the dropdowns, make sure the correct ones are selected for what you want displayed etc. :)

#3 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:04 AM

Hi J!! They are still not appearing for me!! On my phone or computer. Chrome, Firefox and safari. That code is not in my custom CSS but I see it's somewhere on my style.css file via firebug. If I remove This from style, won't that mess up the nab? I've also Checked header nav settings and all are correct. I don't know how to fix this, any other thoughts?!

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13192 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:56 AM

HI Kellid,

If your navigation drop down is not working but you have set the options up correctly. Then can you please disable all plugins and see if that resolves your issue.

#5 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

Hi Danny, I disabled all plugins and nothing. Maybe it's something I may have done in my custom css but I can't seem to figure it out. :(

#6 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

it's definitely something with css. i removed the last few entries I made and the dropdown came back! I started adding one by one and it disappeared again so I removed them again and now it still won't come back.!!! Nothing I do is making it show again..help!!!!

#7 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

I'll delete something, it will come back but as soon as I click through to a different page it disappears again??!???! :-?

#8 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

last one...I'm doing a lot of "display none" make 2 menus. One is a brandnav for a memebers only section and the main nav for the main portion of the site. Could that have anything to do with it?

#9 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

Can you please post all of the custom CSS you have so we can take a look?

#10 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

Hi Catrina!! Thanks for responding. It won't let me add all of the code..too many characters. How else can I post?

#11 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

http://pastebin.com/3StYt7Ve How's that?

#12 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

You have a lot of display: none attributes for individual menu items. This may have to do with the menu problems. Why are these items being hidden individually?

#13 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

I needed 2 different menu's for different "sections. One is the main section (homepage, forum, etc) and the Member's section which is hidden by s2member plugin. I've looked on the board and asked and this was the only way I found to have 2 different menu's displayed on the site. Do you know of another way to have 2 different menu's active in the header at the same time?

#14 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

I think there is a way to hide a navigation menu where you want it to hide, but you don't have to hide each menu item one by one. You can hide the menu as a whole on a certain page.

#15 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

but how do i get the alternative menu in the header? do you know what i mean? i don't see an option on each page to list the alternative menu.

#16 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

I meant that you can hide the alternative menu without hiding its individual items. Does that make sense?

#17 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:56 PM

yes, I would rather hide an entire menu as opposed to menu items. I do get it. But, I don't know how to get the alternative menu up to hide it in the first place. Is there a way to use menu #1 on pages 1, 2, 3 and 4 and menu #2 on pages 5, 6, 7 and 8? And NOT use the "brandnav"?

#18 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

There is no other way to do this? Help!!!

#19 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:19 AM

Kelli, this may seem simplistic and perhaps a bit silly, but have you made sure that you have Drop Down enabled? In Dashboard > Appearance > Menus, under Theme Locations, do you have the correct menu selected?

#20 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:06 AM

Hi there, Why oh why could it not be so simple. I WISH it were that easy :( yes, correct nav. Thanks for trying!! So there is no way to have 2 different primary nav's going at the same time?