Photo
- - - - -

Can Posts (individual pages) have Templates?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mindfulbaby

mindfulbaby

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

I'm so new to this I'm missing something really basic regarding limitations of pages v posts)??¦can Posts can have Templates? What I am trying to set up is really basic: I have a bunch of color patterns I want to showcase (maybe 8 patterns at a time at most; I have set them up so they are in a drop-down - the visitor can navigate to Pattern -> Blue, for example). I'm looking to have one template that is the same for each of my color patterns page. Each pattern's page will have 1-3 pictures of the pattern from different angles on the left that visitors can play/step-through to see the colors, and text description on the right with a "Contact me to purchase" button below the text. Really simple design. I have each pattern set up as a Post right now, but I can't figure out how to assign them a Template (if I even can). Should make each a Page instead? I only ever really need one pattern per page, so I don't need a traditional blog page with a listing of all the latest posts (patterns). In addition, I am going to have a carousel on virtually every page that shows one main image from each of the different pattern pages/posts, so the visitor click on any of those images and quickly get right to the pattern's page/post. With posts I realize this is easy, otherwise I think I will need to use NextGen if I switch to Pages I think. I've watched the videos, looked through the Site Options>Blog and Posts section and the Page Options > Blog Page section in the PageLines menu, but the info seemed to apply to full Blog pages (that contain a number of posts). Thanks much as I get up to speed...

#2 Jenny

Jenny

Owned by PageLines

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2917 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

Honestly it really shouldn't matter which one you choose (posts or pages) because each are customizable. - You can link to individual posts or pages in the menu - You can add photos to both posts and pages - You can add a carousel to both posts and pages (and edit each post or page to use a unique carousel) Set up your post how you want it to appear in Drag&Drop (look for "Content Area" -> "Blog Post"), add the carousel to this also. And then you can edit the carousel settings for each post in the PageLines Meta Settings that will appear at the bottom. Hope that helps!

#3 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 4983 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

Hi Jen! If it were me, as an easy fix I'd probably create a page for each color and then use NextGen to insert a Gallery for the required images. However, if you create a category for each color you can then create a category page for it and place that in your menu as a drop down. Just create a new cat for each color, blue, green etc and then assign the relevant posts. Once you've created and attached your posts to the relevant categories. Go to Appearance>Menus and scroll down to the bottom left where you'll see a box full of check-boxes containing your category titles. Click on the required names to add to your custom menu, and then order/arrange them to suit. If you want the list to appear as a drop down, simply place directly under the parent title and drag slightly to the right, the tab should indent and this will now become a drop down. Remember to scroll up to the top left hand corner and ensure that the new menus are assigned to the appropriate nav menus etc :) If you make a category page as above these options for the posts will still appear in the carousel. Hope this helps

#4 mindfulbaby

mindfulbaby

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

Hi jamieb23 - I think creating a Page for each color and then using NextGen for a gallery on each Page sounds the easiest. I get stuck, however, on is how I can then have a Carousel that appears on most all pages so a visitor can see all the colors and allow them to click on any of those carousel image and get sent directly to that color's page. I didn't think NextGen could do that piece, but maybe I'm not understanding that. If the NextGen can't do that part above, then it sounds like I wouldn't really have a choice but to keep each color as a Post (so I could use the Carousel across all of the site), and then add another Carousel to each color's post which uses NextGen to pull images from a specific gallery for that color (I'm assuming I could reference a different gallery for each Post). I see you mention creating a Category for each color, but I was wondering what that will help me do? Right now I have each color as a Post, and then I inserted those Posts underneath one of my top-level Pages (which seems to work well). Does giving the colors a Category give me an advantage setting this up?

#5 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

I think creating a Page for each color and then using NextGen for a gallery on each Page sounds the easiest.

^ I agree.

how I can then have a Carousel that appears on most all pages so a visitor can see all the colors and allow them to click on any of those carousel image and get sent directly to that color's page.

^ I believe the carousel thumbnail links would definitely need to be adjusted somehow so they can lead to the appropriate color pages.

When I think about it, I'm not sure what categories would contribute (unless you plan on categorizing these colors in a certain way), so I don't think you should worry about category pages.

#6 mindfulbaby

mindfulbaby

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

Thanks all. It looks like since I would like a Carousel at the bottom of each color (linking to the color page), and then a Carousel at the top of the page that just shows a detailed image of the color (and visitors can flip-though a few pics), that the best way to do that is to make each color a post, and then on the color page use QuickSlider instead of the top carousel. Sounded like from the boards that trying to link NextGen images to posts was a little too advanced for me!

#7 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

Isn't it great that no matter what your current skillset, we have tools to help? Your plan sounds logical and completely easy to implement. Let us know how it goes.