Photo
- - - - -

PostNav not showing correct Next Post. Possible Conflict with Post Type Order

Best Answer tjrutkowski , 27 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for looking into this. I tried disabling all plugins except Post Type Order, and I still have an issue.

Issue: Looking at my newest post. The previous post shows correctly, but is also shows a next post (which should not exist).
WP 3.5.1& Post Type Order 1.5.7

...The only way Post Type Order would cause an issue, is if you actually re-ordered your post using the plugin.

I have re-ordered posts using the plugin. Is that a problem? I thought that was the purpose of the plugin.

Thanks again

UPDATE: After reading the plugin support page, it looks like this is a known shortfall of the plugin. So...I reset ordered posts to unordered (SQL -> UPDATE `wp_posts` SET `menu_order`=0 WHERE `post_type` = 'post'), and it works. I guess I'll just use the time stamp to order posts for now.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wendygordon

wendygordon

• Members

• 156 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

Hey there. wondering if anyone has a fix. I think have found a conflict with PostNav and Post Type Order. My next post is always showing the same wrong next post. To be clear. If i am viewing post #100, my previous post is post #99 and my next post is something like post #55. The next post never changes - it is always this post no matter what post i am currently viewing. it is always post #55 (i am using post #55 as an example.) I dont know actually what number post it is, but it is a post somewhere in the middle of the post order. This is what I have done to trouble shoot. I deactivated the latest version Post Type Order, the correct next post shows up. PROBLEM SOLVED. but.. i need the post types order plug in.. so.... I deleted Post Types Order and reinstalled and activated the latest version and the exact problem came back. i cloned the post - made the original a draft and published the clone with the same publication date and the problem was still there. I deleted the post and the problem is still there, but now post #54 (the one that was next in line) is now the permanent next post. Any ideas? As always. Thank you.

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

There isn't much we can do with the compatibility of 3rd party plugins like Post Types Order. If Post Types Order is causing a problem, it's best to get rid of it and find an alternative plugin that performs the same functions. To troubleshoot, you should try keeping Post Types Order activated and deactivate your other active plugins to see if the others may be conflicting with PTO.

#3 wendygordon

wendygordon

• Members

• 156 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

Hey Catrina, thanks for your quick response. I have vigorously tested the plugins. i disabled all of them and one by one tested them and so, i am 100% certain that it is Post Types Order causing this problem. Since it is a Pagelines recommended plug in - your answer is frustrating, (blame it on the third party guy!) and a lack of an alternate solution for a replacement plugin, equally frustrating. Do you or does anyone have an alternate suggestion for a plug in? and has anyone seen this problem before or have some idea of maybe what else I can look at for trouble shooting? thanks. Wendy

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

Wendy, I apologize for what may have seemed to be Catrina blaming the third party guy. Rest assured that wasn't her intent. Unfortunately we cannot control how two independent plugins work with each other, which I'm sure you understand. There's a new NavXT section in our Store. Did you try this? There's a bunch of post order plugins, but they're mostly untested. I regret we can't test all the plugins. Let me also point out, hopefully, that the two plugins that are conflicting may not normally do so, but may be influenced by another plugin. This is why we suggest turning off all non-PageLines plugins. I haven't seen this problem occur and we've not had any other forum topics on it, which is why my best guess is that you may have an older plugin that's outdated and causing the issue. If you've read these forums, you know I often recommend going through all the plugins to see what's up to date and compatible with WP 3.4.1. Apologies that this isn't a more direct answer with a recommendation, but since plugins react differently with each other as well as WordPress, browsers and PageLines, it's impossible for us to know which is best for your site.

#5 wendygordon

wendygordon

• Members

• 156 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:45 AM

Robert, thanks so much. I will do the plug in test AGAIN, and let you know what I find. And I will take a look at the NavXT. Wendy

#6 tjrutkowski

tjrutkowski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Hi Wendy & Staff,

I have the same PostNav issue. The next and previous posts do not always align with the actual next and pervious posts. Things are correct when Post Order is de activated, but I also need that plugin.

NavXT is for breadcrumbs, not back/forth navigation, so it doesn't meet my needs. 

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

TJ

#7 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16923 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Hi, I have just this moment created 50 posts, all of which were very distinctive so identifying them was easy and to remember the correct order. I then installed Post Type Order and then visited by blog clicking on the very first post "Hello World". The Post Nav worked as intended and there was no issue, the posts were in the correct order and opened just fine. I was using the latest version of Wordpress, PageLines and plugin, if you're encountering an issue with the Post Nav, then it may be related to a plugin but that plugin is not Post Type Order. The only way Post Type Order would cause an issue, is if you actually re-ordered your post using the plugin.

#8 tjrutkowski

tjrutkowski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:29 PM   Best Answer

Thanks for looking into this. I tried disabling all plugins except Post Type Order, and I still have an issue.

Issue: Looking at my newest post. The previous post shows correctly, but is also shows a next post (which should not exist).
WP 3.5.1& Post Type Order 1.5.7

...The only way Post Type Order would cause an issue, is if you actually re-ordered your post using the plugin.

I have re-ordered posts using the plugin. Is that a problem? I thought that was the purpose of the plugin.

Thanks again

UPDATE: After reading the plugin support page, it looks like this is a known shortfall of the plugin. So...I reset ordered posts to unordered (SQL -> UPDATE `wp_posts` SET `menu_order`=0 WHERE `post_type` = 'post'), and it works. I guess I'll just use the time stamp to order posts for now.

#9 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16923 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

The Post Types Order plugin as far as I am aware is to be use with Custom Post Types not Posts themselves. However, thanks for the sharing your solution.