Photo
- - - - -

Image banner to the rights of website logo using PageLines Customise

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 followfundraising

followfundraising

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hey Guys I appreciate there are several posts on this but I hope this may help the layman! I have added an action to the PageLines Customise function.php as per this screenshot.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Leaving most things as what was provided, but using a simple image placement in between the div (probably my first mistake?) Then I ad the CSS to the CSS rules like this

Nothing... PLEASE help me... I'm hoping it's a simple fix.... Thanks in advance.

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15680 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:29 PM

Hi, Can you paste the code you're currently using to:

Then post a link to your code in your reply, so we can take a closer look.

#3 followfundraising

followfundraising

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

Here's what I put in the function.php -

And here's the CSS -

Appreciate the help. I know I literally did a copy/paste from another post for the function.php, but need to know what went wrong... K

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

Hello, I don't see anything wrong with the code or the CSS, but the hook you're using (pagelines_inside_top_branding) does not exist on PageLines (at least, according to the list of hooks). Try using: pagelines_after_branding_wrap (this may require adjustment with CSS to get your leaderboard to the position you want)

#5 followfundraising

followfundraising

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:10 AM

Thanks Catrina, appreciate you looking at this. I can't find the function.php code for pagelines_after_branding_wrap to add to my customization anywhere? I found posts but I don't have the relevant area using the Professional Edition to access the hooks list??? Would you mind treating me like an idiot and providing the code I need to add to my function.php and, if you're feeling very kind, exactly where I would then place the image and hyperlink links? Thanks! Kris

#6 batman

batman

Bat Learning

• Members

• 2065 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:40 AM

Hi followfundraising I??m a newbie, but I find this discussion, perhaps help you

You have the hooks in

#7 followfundraising

followfundraising

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:02 AM

Thanks Batman! Can I achieve what they did by pasting that code into the function.php in the PageLInes Customization plugin? I am simply trying to include a static image banner -

and hyperlink it... The API hooks seem to require the framework right? Kris The Idiot...

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15680 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

Hi Kris, The code you provided, works I have just this moment tested it. However, the reason it isn't working for you is there is a slight error in the code. You have the following: /* */ At the beginning and end of your code, remove this and the code will work! I have added the code below for you to use -

#9 followfundraising

followfundraising

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

Danny, you're a legend, thanks! Truly, kudos to you as it works!

I am using this CSS to position the banner: #branding .leaderboard { position: absolute; left: 450px; z-index: 28; } The only sandwich missing from the picnic is that it doesn't work well with iPhone browsing and differs in iPad etc as well... any suggestions so that it 'tiles' better with mobile devices would be insightful... But I am happy, so thank you... K B-)

#10 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

How is it looking on the iPhone and/or iPad? Do you have screenshots?

#11 followfundraising

followfundraising

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:15 PM

Hey Catrina Here are 2 x screenshots of my iPhone - Portrait and Landscape. In landscape the banner sits on top of the web logo and social icons In Portrait, the banner is squashed and loses it's width & height attributes My concern is the ability to click on each component, obviously :) Thanks Kris

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:07 AM

Kris, The problem you have here is that you're using exactly the right code, but your images are wider than the total available width you can use. The image you're trying to embed is over 300px, which you're trying to place next to another image of 450px and that's next to yet another wide image. Added up, even without the padding, it's greater than the total space of the canvas area. Hence it's likely that the hook is actually working, but not displaying because it has no room for the image. The padding can be as much as 30px for each image (left + right combined). I think you'll need to remove one or more images to achieve that hook properly, or you'll need to use a different hook to place it above or below the branding.

#13 followfundraising

followfundraising

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:26 AM

You speak sense rangelone, thank you! Unfortunately, the browser layout is king in this project, as they like the wide banner placement :( But I can certainly reduce the logo banner length (there was dead space) and tighten things up a little. Thank you one and all!