Photo
- - - - -

Full width header not working

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 nanu

nanu

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

Hi, I've been through tons of other peoples posts and tried all of them to no avail. I am using full width- uploaded a 2000px width image in the header/logo section - tried all kinds of css and can't get it to work. Please help? Also, my customize plug in is not working- tried deactivating all other plug ins as well as emptying my cache (wp3 total cache) thankyou kindly.

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

Hi, let's make sure you have the right set up.

1. Go to Dashboard > PageLines > Site Options > Layout Editor. In the first grouping, select "Responsive with Pixel Width". In the second grouping select "Full-Width Sections".

2. Go to Dashboard > PageLines > Site Options > Color Control and scroll down to "Site Background Image (Optional) ". There, upload your image. Set the vertical alignment to 0 and horizontal to 50. I use a minimum 2200px wide image.

3. Go to Dashboard > PageLines > Site Options > Custom Code and in CSS Rules, replace body {} with

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

The effect can be seen in

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 nanu

nanu

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

Wow quick reply- thank you muchly. I have tried seemingly every combination regarding settings-- currently they are set to what you suggested. I was using a background so didn't go that route but now I'm ready to give it up as I'm wasting so much time trying to figure this out- aaaand it STILL doesn't work! le poo. If I get rid of my maintenance mode could you have a look and see what you see? I've left both the test image in the header upload and background upload so you can see that neither are making it full width. Can't thank you enough.. (oh- also any advice on the customize plug in?) (I've read countless fixes through the forum and tried them all as well- it's writeable and I emptied the DB etc cache- deactivated all plug ins- pulled out some hair- it says inactive and I am aware that it isn't supposed to matter, except it's really inactive)

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

Did you go to Dashboard > PageLines > Store > Plugins and see if you can activate it there? It should be in your list of installed plugins if you previously installed it. As for the site, there's some basics you should probably focus on, 1. Google won't find your site easily with a graphics only header. 2. Framework allows a much easier way of doing this. If you take out the two headers and follow the instructions above, it should give you the result you want, but it will crop part of the background to accommodate browser width. So, your image needs to expect to be cropped. having text inside it won't work. Let me explain. If someone's computer has a screen resolution of 1024px, then that's the max they'll see and a 2000px wide image will be cropped. If they have a 42" television where they view the Internet with a 1980px resolution, then they will see most of your image. So, you have to plan on people seeing the site in multiple resolutions, designing graphics and layout accordingly. Then there's the folks on mobile devices like iPhones and iPads, Kindles and so on. Having text fixed inside the image guarantees the majority of viewers won't see it. You also have one image in the header area, and layered another into the content area. That's not going to work for you.

#5 nanu

nanu

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:14 AM

Thanks for the reply.. That's just a test whatever to make sure I can get this working before I put in the hours to create something I want- I left the 2 headers there as to leave examples there of what I have tried to do to make this work. I understand what you mean, yes - and am not so worried about the big ol' google as I'm not going to be competing with anyone so SEO isn't so important but I didn't think about Mobile viewers so I thank you for your advice! I'm not going to use a graphic after all! You've saved me a lot of effort <3 Foooorrr the record, the image uploaded through the header area would not size accordingly, was slightly too short and off center not to mention a third of the size wanted. The image I set in the background showed up as it should (I made it a little too thick) but I am going to be using a textured background so can't be doing it that way but wanted to try and see if it worked. Foooorr the Plug in- Very muchly installed and activated in the plug in list, but in the actual plug in for the individual css or php edit pages it says inactive. I'm going to go have a glass of wine and forget my computer exists for the night.

#6 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Very muchly installed and activated in the plug in list, but in the actual plug in for the individual css or php edit pages it says inactive.

^ This is actually normal, so you don't have to worry about that. ;)

#7 nanu

nanu

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

Hiya! I read that somewheres else on here earlier so wasn't too worried, just the whole not working thing is what got me ;) BUT- after hours of fiddling I managed to make it work. Problem is, I couldn't tell others in the same situation howww I did it hahaha Thanks!!

#8 cerchris

cerchris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

Hi rangelone In an above post you talked about the "first grouping" and "second grouping" when using the layout editor for setting a background image for a full browser width header. What is the difference between these 2 grouping, and how do they relate/effect the setup of a site?