22 replies to this topic

#1 corpuscamera

corpuscamera

• Members

• 9 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Framework Version:The Latest

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:56 AM

Hi, this should be a quick answer from someone, I'm new to the Pagelines Framework, like it so far, but am trying to figure out how to apply the Magazine style to the Category page displaying the full width post and subsequent excerpts, similar to how it does on the Blog post page. I have read through the old posts and questions on this that appeared to be from the previous Pagelines version, but did not appear relevant to the new release and were not helpful. I'm fine modifying the code to add in some conditional statements, but am still sorting through the Framework files and wondering where this code is located to modify? Thanks if you can reference the file name and poss even line number to start with! - Dan

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15163 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

Hi Dan, So, just to confirm you want your Magazine mode and full width posts to appear on your category pages, instead of using the standard blog style?

#3 corpuscamera

corpuscamera

• Members

• 9 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Yes, I would like the magazine mode and full width posts to appear on the category page.

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15163 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

OK, I have bookmarked your post and I will speak to one of our developers. This should be possible.

#5 corpuscamera

corpuscamera

• Members

• 9 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

Alright, please let me know, I know you all are probably bombarded with questions every day, I do appreciate you taking the time to answer, esp as this solution will be applicable to a current project I am working on and a future one impending.

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hi, I know this is just a temporary solution and you want a permanent one... but: 1. Go to Dashboard > Plugins > Add New and search for and install "Special Recent Posts". 2. Read the plugin page and installation instructions fully and carefully to create your shortcode. 3. Create a static page for a category with a slightly different name. So a "recipe" category might be the "Recipes" page. 4. Add the shortcode for Special Recent Posts, customized to the category only. set it up for XX (number) full width posts with thumbnail. 5. At the bottom, below the shortcode, create a link to the actual category page (with magazine mode). 6. Add a link to the new static page in your menu. Your visitors will go to the static page, see the full-width posts and when they go to the next page, will see the magazine mode list.

#7 corpuscamera

corpuscamera

• Members

• 9 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:59 PM

Hi Rangelone, thanks for the suggestion, I will keep that tabbed as a backup option if they aren't able to come back with an explanation of where in the code to add some statements making it possible to apply magazine mode to the spec category page. Looking over previous posts it seems like this was done in Platform Pro before the version switch with some code mods in the postloops.php file, but am not certain what the equivalent to that is under the new framework. Any insight on that, assuming you've been with Pagelines from the early days? Thanks!

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

Unfortunately we don't provide customizations like that in the forum. To change the postloop, you'd need one of our Pros found at

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Yes, I have been around a while and remember the upgrade that placed category posts in magazine mode. That's been default for quite a while. We can't provide you with a location for that since we don't advocate or endorse modification of core files, hence the suggestion I made was probably your best option.

#9 corpuscamera

corpuscamera

• Members

• 9 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

Would you really need to change core files to simply have a single full length post and then excerpts on the category page? I would think that should be a fairly straightforward mod for Pagelines, my shortfall is I am new to this framework and still learning it, thus why I was asking for an idea of where to start. I don't think the other option will be acceptable for my clients particular needs at this point; I had hoped this should be a simple fix for Pagelines to handle, no?

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:04 AM

In theory, it could be done with a hook, however, I have no idea how to write it. This wouldn't be an easy function to write because it's splitting the loop content and while that's certainly possible, it's above and outside the scope of my skills. The files that contain that capability are indeed core files, so if you were to code it, but in the wrong place, when PageLines updates your work might well be wiped out. I felt it a better investment to have a pro do it for you than to invest hours, if not days, writing the correct code only to discover that a few weeks later, you're forced to start from scratch. It doesn't appear to be a simple solution as far as I know, however, I will shoot an email to our developer and see if he has any other ideas.

#11 corpuscamera

corpuscamera

• Members

• 9 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

Ok, thanks, too bad the framework doesn't yet support standardizing the design for the Blog page to the other special pages, hope that can be in an update some day.

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

I will tell our founder of your excellent point. Thanks.

#13 _jan_

_jan_

• Members

• 23 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

Is there an update on this topic?
I'd like to have a Magazine Layout on a Category Page. I remember that this was possible in previous versions of PL or PlatformPro.

#14 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15163 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

Hi,

Magazine mode works on category pages. However if you wish to have full width posts also, add the following code to your child themes functions.php file. If you're using the PageLines customisation plugin, then add the code below to your plugins functions.php file.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#15 sterlingbates

sterlingbates

Advanced Member

• Members

• 30 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Is the code above still relevant to the current version of platform?

I have tried using it in the pagelines customize plugin and it is not working.

#16 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:51 AM

It's possible that since converting this forum, the code Danny provided may have become corrupted. I'm seeing ' all over, which should be something like "

Where in PageLines Customize did you paste it?

I'm not sure if the hook Danny provided is still active but the easy way to find out is to install Action Map, available free from our Store, activate it and simply see if that hook is still present where it should be.

#17 sterlingbates

sterlingbates

Advanced Member

• Members

• 30 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

I corrected the corrupted "apostrophe" to make sure it looked fine.  This was my first time using the Customize plugin, and I put the code at the bottom (underneath the big comment that said put your functions here).

When I did it causes major errors (site no longer loads), it said this line when it exploded.

function my_do_full_width_archives()

I have tried the action map and it doesn't show anything that helps me correlate that with the function.

#18 sterlingbates

sterlingbates

Advanced Member

• Members

• 30 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

Is there an updated version of this. 

It seems like the magazine layout with the x fullwidth posts at the top and then the clip versions should automatically apply when you go to a category page.  But it doesn't seem to do taht.

#19 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

Whilst the concept of full width and magazine mode posts on a category page is a fine one indeed, programming it takes time.

One of the key reasons, I believe, that it not designed that way presently is to allow people to implement elements like Features above the post loop to call attention to the category. 

There are several options, mostly premium,  in our store that might help with this, provided someone is creative in their application. I'm sure they're easy to apply.

#20 sterlingbates

sterlingbates

Advanced Member

• Members

• 30 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Which items in the store would you recommend for this?