Custome sidebars not visible in widget area

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 davron

davron

• Members

• 16 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:51 AM

I've created three custom sidebars. All three are visible in the Pagelines "drag & drop" dashboard but not visible in the widgets area. Also, when viewing a page, the un-populated custom sidebar is visible but with the message "ADD WIDGETS(CUSTOM1) This is your Cusom1 Sidebar but it needs some widgets! Easy! Just add some content to it in your widgets panel." But when I click the link to populate, they aren't there in the widget are as described above. Anyone else having this issue? I've using WordPress 3.4.1 and Frameworks 2.2.5 P.S. I also deactivate all the plugins to see if there was a conflict but that didn't solve the issue.

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:52 AM

Well, I think creating sidebars is really more a WordPress function than thematic. Have you checked at WordPress.org to see what they discuss on this?

#3 davron

davron

• Members

• 16 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:57 AM

I'm referring to duplicating the primary sidebar section (sb_primary). Was able to do this without an issue in previous versions of framework without issue.

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17618 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

Hi Davron, Can you add the code you have used to

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

please so we can take a closer look.

#5 davron

davron

• Members

• 16 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

I just duplicated the sb_primary folder from within the sections folder of the pagelines theme, changed the duplicated folder name to "sb_custom1" and then changed all references of "Primary" to "Custom1" in the section.php file: Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Description: A 3rd widgetized sidebar for the theme that can be used in standard sidebar templates. Class Name: Custom1Sidebar Workswith: sidebar1, sidebar2, sidebar_wrap Persistant: true */ /** * Custom1 Sidebar Section * * @package PageLines Framework * @author PageLines */ class Custom1Sidebar extends PageLinesSection { /** * Section template. */ function section_template() { pagelines_draw_sidebar($this->id, $this->name); } }

#6 zephyr11

zephyr11

• Members

• 7 posts
  • LocationApple Valley, Minnesota
  • Framework Version:developer

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

I just added two custom sidebars also and am experiencing the exact same issue as davron. No widgets are showing. I'm using Base child theme.

#7 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

@zephyr Have you also tried deactivating your active plugins?

#8 davron

davron

• Members

• 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:38 AM

Is anyone else having this issue with custom sidebars not showing up in the widget dashboard?

#9 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

Your code will not work, you have not registered a sidebar.

#10 davron

davron

• Members

• 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:24 PM

Is this a new requirement for Pagelines 2.2.5? I've made custom sidebars (custom sections) in previous versions of Pagelines Framework without issue. I wonder if the problem is that I am not using the Base theme. If I activate the Base theme will all my custom CSS entered using the Pagelines Customize plugin be lost?

#11 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

Davron, You may simply not recall registering the sidebars in previous iterations. However, that's not new with 2.2.5. It has been the basis for every theme, platform and framework. Just as I said earlier, this answer was to be found at WordPress.org. Since the PageLines Customize plugin provides its content to the Framework, and that's the basis for the child Base Theme, your customizations will carry over. The same will apply to CSS set in Custom Code > CSS Rules.

#12 davron

davron

• Members

• 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

I can see that i would have to register a sidebar if i was wanting to create a third sidebar ie SB3, but if i wanted to make a duplicate of the tertiary sidebar or the universal sidebar and rename it custom1 (as per the code i pasted earlier) would i still need to register it? And if so, how and where would i need to add code.

#13 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

add a function called section_persistant() We register the sidebars in the core now, not in the sections. So if you want to add a new sidebar, you will have to also register it.

#14 davron

davron

• Members

• 16 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:59 AM

Thank you everyone for your help. Registering the sidebar did the trick. It took me a while to figure out how to actually go about registering the sidebar but this Pagelines document was gold:

#15 languagedept

languagedept

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

Does anyone have more information on how to register a sidebar. My PHP knowledge is basic and nothing that I am doing seems to be working.

Thanks,

#16 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

Hi LanguageDept, we haven't got any new documents on registering custom sidebars yet, but check out this link which will guide you through the process-