Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Resolved Where can I find the archive page for a custom post type?

Question

Posted · Report post

I've created a few custom post types, and I can see their Archive Page templates in the drag and drop section. How do I actually view these archive pages?

23 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Rob, the image above shows that pagelines has a template for the page. Please check my post above. Third template in on the bottom row.

For any custom post type I have made, Pagelines offers a template for the archive of that post type.

Posted · Report post

It doesn't appear in the dropdown for the templates in the edit page.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

The News Archive as far as I know should indeed list the posts created for that CPT. Is this not happening?

Posted · Report post

Apologies for my confusion. Our moderators are not developers, so we sometimes get a bit lost with the complexities.

As I understand it, archive pages, even custom ones, are "special pages" which can't be edited or created as static pages. Thus the custom template you create for those archives should simply be applied dynamically to archives of posts in that custom post type. How that happens is, for me at least, a total mystery.

Which template did you use to model your archive page? How do you view the archive?

Posted · Report post

You can mark this resolved.

Posted · Report post

The topic was marked as resolved.

Posted · Report post

bump.

Posted · Report post

I don't think I've ever seen a News template that's part of our system. Was this a section/plugin you purchased from our store?

Posted · Report post

Hey Danny. Similar to the "blog" page that would show a feed of all of the "blog" post type items, only for one of the custom post types. Let's say I've made a post type called "Movies". When I navigate in the admin panel to Pagelines > Drag & Drop, I'll now have templates to edit labled "Movies" and "Movies Archive". I can add sections to the "Movies Archive" template, but how do I actually view the "Movies Archive" page on my site?

Posted · Report post

Rob, we're starting to go in circles here.

I'm trying to figure out the following:

After creating a custom post type, the "Template" for an archive page for that post type becomes editable in Pagelines.

I would now like to view that Archive page which should have the template that Pagelines seems to be creating.

Is this a question you need to mark for a developer?

Posted · Report post

I'm not sure how I would even navigate to the page to find out.

On that site I had to build one using a plugin

Posted · Report post

In PlatformPro archives are a special page and don't really have a template. However, if you upgrade to PageLines Framework, that does have a standard template for Archives, Search, and other things you can change as you wish. If you write an email to hello@pagelines.com, they'll help you with an upgrade.

Posted · Report post

According to the developers, as I understood it, any Archives page is deemed a "special" page and is viewed only by looking at the content it's supposed to carry. So, an archive page would be for old posts. Honestly, and with total apologies, this is out of my depth so yes, I am referring this again to a developer.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

bump

Posted · Report post

Hi jcritty or Rob, I am trying to do the exact same thing but I do not follow your solution. When I created a CPT named "Podcast", Pageline automatically creates a "Podcast Archive" template in the "Drag and Drop" section. I like that feature, but when I try to create a new wordpress page and then select a template (For example Template 1, Template 2 and so forth) I can't find the "Podcast Archive". Why can't I select this archive template? Thanks.

Posted · Report post

It seems a few posts on this have vanished... forgive me for re-posting.

Rob, I don't believe a new template needs to be created because it is already showing up as a template in the drag and drop options.

See here:

Screen-Shot-2012-09-10-at-8.47.59-AM.png

The "News" template is for the custom post type of the same name. It's used on any of those posts. The "News Archive" suggests there is a template useable in the same way "Blog" would be for the blog post type. Am I correct?

At the end of the day, I'd just like a page that lists the posts from a Custom Post Type.

Posted · Report post

@jcritty

I read through this post and, yes, you were correct you guys were going in circles.

When you create a custom post type (manually, via WP-Types plugin, activating a PageLines Section, or however else), PageLines detects it and shows it in Drag and Drop, as you noticed.

To answer your question...

It depends how your registered (i.e. created) your custom post type. Check out http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/register_post_type

You have to:

1) specify has_archive

2) your slug will be the has_archive value unless you use rewrite

3) in which case, the slug will be the rewrite value

Hopefully that clears it up for you and anyone else that finds this topic in the future.

Posted · Report post

PS: Love the new forum. Way better.

Posted · Report post

Ah! I've categorized this thread wrong, my apologies. I'm on the Framework, developer edition.

Posted · Report post

No worries. I added this to the right topic. If you want to view the sections added to "Movies Archive" template, you'll need to view a page that uses that template. For a page to use that template, you'll need to set it in the "Template" dropdown in the page editor for a page.

Posted · Report post

Hi Ccowell, please start a new thread for your post :-)

Posted · Report post

Hi, I am not quite sure what you mean by view the archive page(s), can you explain further please.