Photo
- - - - -

How to set default Page Layout PER template

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 perininero

perininero

Advanced Member

• Members

• 89 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

I know you can set a default per website. I know you can edit page layout per page. I would like to set default page layout per template/custom theme templates. Is this possible and how? In this case, it would be great when you can set default sidebars per template. Now this is not possible, just like header-morefoot-footer right? Just content area is drag&drop per template. Thank you.

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17533 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

Hi PeriniNero, I am not quite sure what you're referring to, would it be possible to reply here and provide more information please.

#3 perininero

perininero

Advanced Member

• Members

• 89 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

@Danny Well maybe with a specific example. I would like to create a page template without sidebars, while using sidebars in other page templates. Maybe I do something wrong, but it seems like the sidebars are set sitewide, instead of per page template. However, I know I can adjust the page layout when editing a page in cms, but then you have to do that on every page you want to exclude sidebars. Wouldn't it be easier to create page templates with specific layout, like without sidebars?

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Okay, please refer to this information as a start:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Once your custom page template is created, it will appear in Dashboard > PageLines > Page Options where you should be able to hide sidebars on a 'global' basis for that template.

#5 perininero

perininero

Advanced Member

• Members

• 89 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

@rangelone Thanks for your prompt reply. The custom templates I created (just like explained on the page mentioned:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

) do not appear in the "Dashboard > Pagelines > Page Options" menu. They do appear in both Wordpress cms and Pagelines Drag & Drop (content area). I use custom base theme with custom templates.

#6 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

Why not just use widget logic? You can use is_page() then

#7 perininero

perininero

Advanced Member

• Members

• 89 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

@Simon Well, there's seems to be an issue when using WPML as well.

#8 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

What is the issue with WPML?

#9 perininero

perininero

Advanced Member

• Members

• 89 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

@Catrina Not regarding to using PageLines; it's regarding to the combination of WPML and the Widget Logic Wordpress Plugin, as mentioned on the WPML forum. That's why I did not yet use Widget Logic.

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

I know multi-language is doubtlessly important, but you must identify which is more so. There are other language conversion plugins. I've used Transposh, and while not perfect, I know it works with Widget Logic.

#11 perininero

perininero

Advanced Member

• Members

• 89 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

@rangelone Well I will look into Transposh. Thanks. Back to the original question, isn't it logical that a (custom) template should have layout settings to be set as default? A template is typically meant for this in my opinion? Furthermore, regarding to your answer that a custom template should appear in "Dashboard > Pagelines > Page Options" menu when a custom template was created like explained in the wiki (I did it this way): any other action involved?

#12 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17533 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

Once you have created your template, you can define its layout when you assign this template to your page. Page Options are for pages that are considered special by Wordpress, such as 404, Author, Blog, Category and so on...

#13 perininero

perininero

Advanced Member

• Members

• 89 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

Ok @Danny, in other words, you cannot define a default template layout to a custom template. You have to set this on every single page, using this specific custom template? If this is true, isn't it a nice idea to add to the development wish list? :-) thanks

#14 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17533 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

I have added it to the tracker as a possible feature enhancement for you.

#15 perininero

perininero

Advanced Member

• Members

• 89 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

@Danny thanks

#16 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

Do you need further assistance with anything else?

#17 perininero

perininero

Advanced Member

• Members

• 89 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

@Catrina, for this moment, no thank you. I will create another topic when applicable. Thanks again.

#18 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

Thanks. I will accept an answer for you for moderation purposes.