Photo
- - - - -

How to change bbpress to SMF or phpBB

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 kanchiyurckkgmailcom

kanchiyurckkgmailcom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:05 AM

Hi,

I've installed bbpress on my site (

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

), however I feel bbpress is hard to manage. So I've been thinking to change it to SMF or phpBB.

Anyone have complete tutorial or guide?

The forum have few users and posts.

Thanks

#2 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:44 AM

They are all built very differently, so I don't believe there is any ideal or automated way to just convert over. If you only have a few users and posts you'll want backup that info simply to Notepad or TextEdit, or do a database backup (not really necessary). You can then just remove bbPress and install a fresh version of SMF or phpBB and then just go ahead and recreate the users and posts in the new forum setup. As far as deep integrating with WordPress, I don't know of those possibilities with SMF and phpBB, we support bbPress. Thanks, Bryan

#3 kanchiyurckkgmailcom

kanchiyurckkgmailcom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:01 PM

Thank you for your quick answer Bryan, I was thinking the same by just install a newly fresh phpbb or smf. But I'll need longer time to do all the posts, setup all users back. However, thanks and I'm still hoping if someone have another good solution for me.

#4 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:57 AM

Okay, let us know how it goes and if you have questions or need help during the process. Thanks, Bryan

#5 oeaton

oeaton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:45 PM

I realize this thread is a little old, but I'm faced with the same problem of wanting to use SMF for my site. I found someone who makes a bit of code to visually integrate just about any forum with WordPress.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I've been fooling around with it, but the instructions are really vague and progress has been slow. Maybe someone with better coding skills than I can get it working with PageLines and post some better instructions here. Cheers

#6 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

As we integrate with bbPress you may be hard pressed to find that solution here, I would consider hiring someone with experience with SMF or perhaps a PageLines Pro