Photo

em effecting font appearance

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 johnlatham

johnlatham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:34 AM

Hello, I'm looking for some help regarding font appearance. I changed some of my custom code so my header font was Arial 12px and assuming it would look like the text that appears on this site 'http://wailintse.com/about' It didn't look quite right. I'm looking at some of my code and see that there is a mixture of em and px. Can this affect the appearance? And if so, how can I solve this problem. If you look at the name 'JOHN LATHAM' at the top of my website you will see its quality is not quite the same as the other link I have provided. Thanks.

#2 johnlatham

johnlatham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:47 AM

PS. If its any difference, I actually would like to have a few lines of text above the nav bar aligned left, instead of the linked header name. So I'll be looking to hide the site header and description (hide, not delete as I would still like them to appear at the top of the browser as normal page headers). So I'd like all the fonts on my site to be Arial 12px black with links underlined. And can anyone help with the above nav paragraph? Thanks, John.

#3 johnlatham

johnlatham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:57 AM

Sorry, I have just noticed that lowercase looks fine. So my question now is, is there any way to tell all fonts on the whole site to be Arial 12px? Thank you

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17666 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:30 AM

Hi John, I have visited your website, has this issue been resolved now? All fonts from my quick look, seem to be Arial 12px or have I missed somewhere ?

#5 johnlatham

johnlatham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hi Danny, yep sorted it now but only just got round to coming back on here to say so. My first question is still open though. Is there a way to set every font with certain properties? And does a mixture of em and px effect each other if not done right. Can we delete all em properties? Thanks.

#6 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

The properties for fonts in certain sections can be adjusted (for example, in your navigation menu and the body copy in your pages) by using the appropriate CSS selectors for each. A mixture of em and px, however, isn't a good idea (based on what I've read). I've heard that using em would be best for font sizing because it allows text to resize properly.