Photo
- - - - -

Some Questions regarding the iBlogPro theme

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 slesage

slesage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:02 PM

Hi again Andrew,

Well, I have been playing with the theme and figured most of the things out myself. There are still a few things which I can't seem to fix though. I'm hoping you can give me some pointers in the right direction.

I am going to use the Theme for one of my Video Podcast websites (Website is in Dutch, current layout :

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

). The Video Podcasts are all available on quite a few video Sharing websites (Blip.TV, Revver, ...) and of course they are available on iTunes / Downloadable from the website themselves. I don't think I'll be using the Flickr thingie in the final version, but you never know. Now that you have a basic idea about what I'm going to use it for, here are my remaining questions :-)

I have set up the features page, and the Blog page is the main page with all our content in it. Works great (no problems here)
I have created a page called Podcast in which I would like to show only those posts from the Podcast category. I have used the same template as with the blog page, but get a blanc page instead. I guess I'll have to change something in the code somewhere ? I'll be using this setup for other pages as well (Hardware / Software which should only display posts from the Hardware or Software category). Is there an easy way to set this up ?

Is there some way to indicate that a given page should not appear in the Top page navigation bar (the Gray area) ?

On my current website I have a Google Adds bar in each of my posts ( single post page ) and inbetween posts on the overview page. Not sure if I'm gong to do it here, but could that easily be done using another ad-minister position in one of the template files ?
I was thinking about using a Custom Field called 'Blip.TV', and if a value is entered, then display it between the excerpt and the content of the post, if no value is entered for that field, then don't display it. Think I will have to modify _posts.php and add somthing like this :

And figure out which URL I'll have to use in there :-P
What would be the best way to do all those modifications without loosing them on the next update of the template ? (Not necessary, could always do a file compare if necessary)

As you can see, there are just a few questions left. I have been able to get everything else working the way I expected, and am really loving the theme so far. It looks a lot cleaner than my current template, and I love that !

I hope you will be able to help me out with a few of these things, meanwhile I'll try to find a solution myself as well :-)

Thanks a lot in advance,

Stefaan

#2 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3252 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:34 PM

I have used the same template as with the blog page, but get a blanc page instead. I guess I'll have to change something in the code somewhere ? I'll be using this setup for other pages as well (Hardware / Software which should only display posts from the Hardware or Software category). Is there an easy way to set this up ?

To my knowledge there isn't an easy way to do this (without writing custom code).. of course I haven't looked to see if there is a plugin for it.

Is there some way to indicate that a given page should not appear in the Top page navigation bar (the Gray area) ?

Yes, there is a plugin for this called

What would be the best way to do all those modifications without loosing them on the next update of the template ?

Your solution is probably the best one, custom code this and then just compare versions of '_post.php' in updates.

#3 slesage

slesage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:51 PM

To my knowledge there isn't an easy way to do this (without writing custom code).. of course I haven't looked to see if there is a plugin for it.

Hm, that's a pitty. Some other Templates I used allowed me to add Categories to the Navigation Bar instead of Pages. I guess it would be hard to have the best of both worlds.

Yes, there is a plugin for this called Exclude Pages.

Thanks, will have a look at that.

Your solution is probably the best one, custom code this and then just compare versions of '_post.php' in updates.

Ok, I'll try to get everything working tomorrow. Really looking forward to uploading the new theme on my website. It really looks great !

#4 slesage

slesage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:17 AM

I have set up the features page, and the Blog page is the main page with all our content in it. Works great (no problems here)
I have created a page called Podcast in which I would like to show only those posts from the Podcast category. I have used the same template as with the blog page, but get a blanc page instead. I guess I'll have to change something in the code somewhere ? I'll be using this setup for other pages as well (Hardware / Software which should only display posts from the Hardware or Software category). Is there an easy way to set this up ?

Ok, solved this in the _nav.php page. What I wanted was to display the default blog page, then the Podcast page (which would display all posts in the Podcast category), and after that all other pages. This is how I changed the code :

It works as I would have expected it :-) On to the next bullet point !

Regards,

Stefaan

#5 slesage

slesage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:31 AM

Ok, second problem fixed too by changing the _post.php code where the content gets displayed. Just needed to add a little something in there.

The only thing I need to do is add the Google AddSense block somewhere in the Post, but will have to try a few things out to see where it fits without 'disturbing' the content.

Think I'll be uploading my stuff later today, wonder what the users / visitors will say about the new layout :-)

Regards,

Stefaan

#6 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3252 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:43 PM

Cool, thanks for posting your changes. Put up a link or pic of your site, so I can see how it turns out :)

#7 slesage

slesage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:22 AM

Hi, I surely will. Still trying to do a few things though. Must include some one click subscribe buttons on the site as well, working on that right now. Regards, Stefaan

#8 slesage

slesage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:00 PM

Hi, Just a little message to let you know that the website is up and running with the iBlog Pro theme (with slight modifications). You can see the result at :

the content is in Dutch though. Not 100% happy with the block containing the one-click subscribe buttons yet, and the 'Donate' part in the Sidebar. Apart from that, it's great and a wonderful theme. Regards, Stefaan

#9 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3252 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:13 PM

Looks great. Let me know if you have any more suggestions for development.