Photo
- - - - -

Menu problem with parent pages

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 alanf

alanf

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

I have been crafting my site and am having a problem with the drop down menus in the Primary website navigation. Basically if I set pages under a parent the parent page shows up on the menu and when highlighted shows the pages attributed to it which all display ok. The problem is that the main parent page will not display. I can only get it to display if I unassign the pages underneath which have it as a parent. How do I get the parent to display in it's own right when I have pages assigned to it. I have the menus set up within wordpress and assigned within PLines.

#2 WebWerx

WebWerx

Advocate

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

@alanf: Are you setting up your menus via Appearance > Menus and then dragging & dropping? PS The link you posted goes to an ad site.

#3 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

A live link would help us help you out better. :)

#4 alanf

alanf

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

Hi Yes. setting up menus via appearance > Menus then dragging and dropping. Last time I posted a live link my link appeared on page one of Google for all to see including my client...not good for him to see !! I now do all my design work offline in a local test environment to avoid gliches like this on the live site. See my other post here re back up best practice. I could back up and send you the files for you to restore?

#5 Stefan

Stefan

Business Manager

• Administrators
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

Hey Alan, Maybe you could set up the parent as a custom link pointing to that page? Just a thought...

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15215 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

Hi, Can you go to Wordpress Admin Dashboard > PageLines > Drag and Drop and tell us which Navigation section you're using please. If you're using the NavBar instead of the NavClassic, you will not be able to click on a menu item which has a drop down menu and go to that page. The NavBar is based on Twitter Bootstraps navigation, which activates the drop down menu on click rather than hover. So if you're using the NavBar section, this is the reason as to why you're unable to go to the menu items link, as clicking it activates the drop down. If you would like to have this functionality, you will need to replace the NavBar section with the NavClassic section. For more information on the Twitter Bootstrap menu design please read here - http://www.markdotto...ined-dropdowns/

#7 alanf

alanf

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

Thanks. I just found this out by trial and error......it took the best part of a day! It would have been good to have this in the "How to use the PageLines Menus" documentation, there is no mention of drop downs which is a major benefit of wordpress menus. I see from the forum that many people have had this problem. Now how do I now add a grey (or any other colour background) to the NavClassic bar so it looks just like the NavBar? I don't see anywhere to do this in the PageLines global setttings.

#8 alanf

alanf

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

Further to the above The dropdown does work with NavBar, when you hover you see the children and then when you click a child that child page opens. It's just you can't clik and open the parent, so the content on the parent is lost. Also how do I change the hover colours for children and grandchildren etc?

#9 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15215 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

You will need to add a couple CSS elements to make this work

Keep in mind we can't design your site for you so if you need CSS help, make sure you've downloaded Firebug for Firefox and check out W3 Schools for more info.

Also please be sure to watch our Firebug video tutorial here. If your site requires customization, you may wish to consider requesting a quote from one of our authorized Professional designers by visiting our Pros page.