Photo

SEO

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 shane

shane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:53 PM

I ran a dns check at www.quickdns.net and was given this error (among others unrelated to pagelines). Can you help me understand how to have the home page not redirect to another page as suggested below? CheckDNS.NET verifies www servers 1. Checking HTTP server www.ponyclick.com [70.35.30.48] 2. HTTP server www.ponyclick.com[70.35.30.48] answers on port 80 3. Received: HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently (Server: Apache) Location: http://ponyclick.com/ 4. Your main page redirects to another location. Several search engines will be unable to index your site.

#2 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:02 PM

what have you done to redirect the homepage? A 301 redirect should be kosher with Google and other major search engines.

#3 shane

shane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:10 PM

I have no idea what could have been done to redirect the home page. I'm a novice trying to pull this together. My SEO rankings have been killed since using the pagelines themes. Do you have a way to support a solution?

#4 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:32 PM

So I took a look at your site, and it appears your suffering in SEO because of the content on your site. Although I see the word "pony" on the site many times, I can't tell which search terms you're targeting. My guess is that you're getting killed because you changed the content in some way. (the theme itself is as tuned as it gets regarding SEO)

#5 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:32 PM

So I took a look at your site, and it appears your suffering in SEO because of the content on your site. Although I see the word "pony" on the site many times, I can't tell which search terms you're targeting. My guess is that you're getting killed because you changed the content in some way. (the theme itself is as tuned as it gets regarding SEO)

#6 shane

shane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:03 PM

The content did not change at all. Can you help me figure out the home page redirect piece. Is it possible that the SEO changed because the blog is now the "news" page and not the home page?

#7 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:11 PM

Well the answer to that is maybe. The redirect comes from this... but again this is standard WP behavior and something that is done all the time. Google ranks pages based on 100s of criteria, but one of theme is how close a page is to your root URL. e.g. www.yoururl.com/page1 will rank slightly higher than www.yoururl.com/folder/folder/page1 and so on. Most likely you are being temporarily penalized for the change and Google just needs to catch up. Do you have the 'All In One SEO' and Google XML Sitemaps plugins installed"?

#8 shane

shane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

Yes both "All in one Seo" and Google XML Sitemaps installed and filled out. I'll be patient and see if it helps.

#9 justme

justme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:51 AM

shane I'll throw in my two cents. First, I echo everything Andrew has said. The statement "Several search engines will be unable to index your site" is a little odd - a 301 is the proper method for redirecting in a way that is acceptable to a bot without penalty. Your site is redirecting from www to non-www. If that is not what you want, you need to change that. And, if in fact, that is a recent change, then yes your rankings could definitely be affected in Google. They can and may see a page with or without as two different pages, splitting your page rank. Make sure the settings are what you want and consistent in the WP General Settings area as well as in your Google Webmaster Tools. You may need to reverify the site there. Regarding content, I'm not sure if I understand properly but it sounds like originally your 'blog' page was your home page but is now the 'news' page. If that is so, then again that will affect your rankings because the content HAS changed as far as the way Google sees your site. What was on the homepage is now no longer there (again, if I understood you properly - I may not have). This is not fatal, but as Andrew says, any time you make such a change it is common to see your rankings get shaken up for a week or two. Make sure you have everything set all www or non-www as you prefer, keep an eye on things and adjust content, links, etc. gradually as necessary. Keep adding valuable, relevant content to the site overall and try to rank for a variety of terms on various pages. Keep at it and good luck! David

#10 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:20 AM

Good perspective Dave. Thanks for adding that.